• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. M

Lesser-Known Near-Deaths and Near-Misses

Just after he took office for the second time in 1893, Grover Cleveland had a team of surgeons remove a cancerous tumor in his mouth, along with some of his upper jaw and teeth, onboard a moving yacht in the middle of the Atlantic. He somehow lived.
  2. M

France Partitions Algeria, retaining the bulk of it

And who cares what he thinks? It would be a bit like me saying “And Ricardolino, who is Portuguese, said on SLP.com that public sympathy for Salazar was less towards the end of his government than is commonly believed.” Regardless of whether it be true or not, do you have the credentials to make...
  3. M

American anti-Communism if America had become Communist

Or to put it another way: when communism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.
  4. M

Lord of the Reams: How a Paper Shortage Created Modern Fantasy

And I read the first two paragraphs. ... And I thought I used adverbs too much.
  5. M

Well, of course it’s going to be awful, but we are all going to live to see it... well, provided no one kills themselves first rather than be in the same world as it.
  6. M

I suspect that the virtual nature of media is going to blast all notions of how long a book/epic/trilogy/series should be completely out of the water. When a gigabyte of hard drive space translates to about 180 million words (assuming 8 bits per character, six characters per word on average, 1...
  7. M

Ahh... but is there anything with a presence so global as Americanism?

Ahh... but is there anything with a presence so global as Americanism?
  8. M

The Write Stuff: A Final Word

I also wonder how much the physical placement in the book of the last word matters as well. I first read 1984 in my freshman year of high school (so year 10 for you all?) in the free moments between classes and after class waiting for the bus. Now I approached the end of the book on a warm...
  9. M

Makemakean Does Various Graphical Things!

Monsieur, He holds a steaming cup of coffee/tea in his hand. Would it be doing such if he had a chance to drink it yet?
  10. M

Michael Fassbender?! You’ve put on some weight sir!
  11. M

Sorry for putting you in an uncomfortable position like that. But yeah, I fully, freely, and completely hand these ideas over to you for your use and benefit, and give up all claims to any credit or compensation for their use. The happiness and confidence I would derive from any element being...
  12. M

This is sounding like an idea that has burst its boundaries and is rampaging out of control. The logical thing then is to pile more upon it! Some ideas for characters that have been coming to mind:* A general who worships Napoleon (no seriously, there’s an altar and rituals and good lord is...
  13. M

It’s a shame though, it is so pretty an image that it makes me want to solve that problem. Give me a moment... Edit: I am an idiot, the distance would just be the height multiplied by tan(theta). I really should go eat something...
  14. M

I’ll confess that your solution seemed strange at first, but I got the same result. The only thing that is a bit off is the first graphic. It looks as though you were trying to outline a problem where the plane is the meeting point between the two triangles, rather than at the circumference of...
  15. M

Myth-adventures Down South

I am crying with laughter here.
  16. M

From the Bourbons to Viacom - How Louis XIV created Nickelodeon

I'm afraid I have caught a typo: "Evidently the term remained in the popular memory, for 17 years later, in 1905, Harry Davis and John P. Harris decided to reuse it when they opened a theatre on Smithfield Street in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia."
  17. M

Tibby's Graphics and Grab-Bag Thread.

This is incredible.
  18. M

When the World Held Its Breath: Divide and Conquer

Bending Nazi racial ideology only goes so far though. One can claim, as the Nazis did OTL, that the Croats were really Goths, not Slavs, and the Ukrainians were Crimean Goths, and one can add the Prussian or Swedish Balts to that as well, but if Hitler ever tried to claim the Belorussians and...
  19. M

A Stitch in Time: A Cross-Atlantic Timeline

At the risk of being mercilessly beaten into a bloody pulp by some who are sick of Braveheart representing their country to Americans, I have to ask: Has the position of Guardian of Scotland been brought back, and if so, what responsibilities does it have?
  20. M

A Stitch in Time: A Cross-Atlantic Timeline

Martyrdom is a heck of a drug. And because I’m too lazy to use google translate, what do these Cornish subtitles mean?