• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. O

Alternate History General Discussion

IIRC the Jeff/Gretchen one in 1632 is the one Alex has referred to in the past
  2. O

At the 2021 Sidewise Awards Ceremony at DISCON III

I did also find interesting to hear Silver isn't just aware of us but has apparently read multiple books and articles
  3. O

Quite a few Irish nationalist leaders were Protestants as well (Parnell and Hyde, off the top of my head)
  4. O

Fiction Friction: Fantasy Counterpart Cultures, Part 2

Quick nitpick, you refer to the Black Sea's counterpart as being the Sailors' Sea as well as the Med's - not 100% sure if this should be the Videssian Sea or one of the others, but that seems most likely. Watching the Witcher lately I've noticed some interesting notes on language correspondences...
  5. O

Matthew Kresal wins a Sidewise Award!

Congrats @M_Kresal
  6. O

Things that were invented at the wrong time and in the wrong order

Not exactly what the OP is going for, but I just remembered how GCHQ invented what we now call the RSA cipher, and then the Diffie-Hellman key exchange as an offshoot of the work on that, whilst in the outside world Rivest, Shamir, and Adleman based their work on Diffie, Hellman, and Merkle's.
  7. O

Yeah I think the chances of no Iraq War by 2021 are basically nil and by 2011 are pretty low. That doesn't mean the OTL one.
  8. O

Fiction Friction: When Reboots End With The Beginning

Quite enjoyed this Though I am now being distracted by how I quite like the pulpiness of the original John Carter books but have never seen either of the films and am just vaguely aware there were two, they're different and I'm not sure which is meant here.
  9. O

WI: Plato’s The Republic Applied in Real Life.

I think @Ciclavex argues the closest we have OTL is the Islamic Republic of Iran.
  10. O

Not on quite the same level I think but I do remember when musing about a Wales that got its independence in the early 20th century and how you could get it to be majority Welsh speaking, and trying to think what went differently for central and eastern European countries, and suddenly realising...
  11. O

Kinda fundamental to colonialism really, it's an inherently exploitative relationship. You can change round the feelings and actions of individual officials to some extent, but the system as a whole's incentives are never going to be to be humane.
  12. O

More Successful Novgorod Republic

Just saw this and it struck me as an interesting idea, any ways people think it could happen?
  13. O

US Constitutional Question

IIRC terms count if and only if you're President for most of them.
  14. O

Dark Rose

Honestly from the way it's described by @Charles EP M. I'd guess that was the original point and the bare disguise thing was come up with as a way of handwaving it actually working
  15. O

Things that were invented at the wrong time and in the wrong order

I suppose you could argue things like the steam devices of ancient Alexandria are this, but I don't think that's what you're going for exactly? In fairness moveable type found it pretty hard to find a niche with logographic systems because it has much less of an efficiency advantage compared to...
  16. O

Dark Rose

Hang on wasn't the President getting the Dail to give the occupiers emergency powers earlier?
  17. O

I think Newman's own stuff has Samuel Hoare as the quisling figure?
  18. O

Fiction Friction: Reboots, Remakes and Reimaginings

I'm not sure about the books but I did see someone noting earlier this week that the original film version of Bond is Scottish and yet every subsequent one is English and this never seems to come up as a "ruined forever" or anything.
  19. O

The Ballad Of Mike Sparks

Ftr I didn't know who this was but I do know msscribe so that'd be one person at least.
  20. O

What if Murdo Fraser won?

I think @Fletch did a TL about something similar happening a few years earlier on AH.com?