• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. AndyC

Alternate History General Discussion

It's very easy to end up running out of fucks to give. When you are, for example, the group whip for a political grouping, who are putting forward a pro-trans-rights motion, and you have to be the one in the middle trying to talk down a bunch of middle-aged women who have swallowed a load of...
  2. AndyC

And if the pushback is explicitly that it is offensive for you, as a non-LGBT+ person, to write an LGBT+ character, there isn't much actual criticism to get hold of.
  3. AndyC

Yeah, well, not to put too fine a point on it: I've got enough grief going on right now and I'm juggling enough not to want to kick a hornets nest even with the best of intentions and doing the best I can. I may well change my mind in a while. I think the criticism of someone trying to...
  4. AndyC

That's not how the character is portrayed in the book. Windy is portrayed sympathetically and well accepted by the other characters. The dilemma David is in is that if he does NOT write LGBT+ characters, he's exacerbating the problem, but when he does, he's told off for it because he's not...
  5. AndyC

Deep Sea Race

I'm by no means an expert on this sort of thing, but I suppose a bathyscaphe could be possible in the late 19th century? I believe they could build the steel walls well enough, compress air, have batteries, and even refined gasoline if needed.
  6. AndyC

WI: The Solar Storm of 2012 hits the Earth?

One of things that causes concern is things like this: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/05/texas-power-outage-almost-became-weeks-long-catastrophe/ (Admittedly Texas, but they were relying on blackstart that hadn't been tested and turned out to be ineffective)...
  7. AndyC

Prequel Problems: Anne McCaffrey’s Dragonriders of Pern

I seem to recall a discussion several years back where it was indicated that the intro was added later - McCaffery had started with the aim of a fantasy series, and pulled it into soft sci-fi later on. It was possibly on rec.arts.sf.written, but I can't remember the full details.
  8. AndyC

You didn't miss much. It's the one that I can't reread. McCaffery was so in love with Masterharper Robinton that it warped the entire book. - Remember that no women were ever Harpers and never had been for time out of mind? Well, Robinton's Mum had been one, and the Mastersinger at that...
  9. AndyC

The one that most blew out the continuity for me was Masterharper of Pern. Such things as no female harpers and Queen riders, amongst others, were completely changed.
  10. AndyC

Sergeant Frosty Publications

I'm sorry, that's not quite correct. I just checked. It's #3, now. :)
  11. AndyC

Prequel Problems: Robert Jordan’s “New Spring”

You mention in the article that you never got to experience the frustration the fans did who bought the books as they came out. I came in at Book Two (because it was in the library, I actually read that one first, something I seemed to have a habit of doing because Colchester Library had an...
  12. AndyC

Sergeant Frosty Publications

Aw, shucks.
  13. AndyC

Review: Time and Time Again

I’ve read this one as well. Enjoyed it, and agree with pretty much all the points.
  14. AndyC

A Complete Index of all Sea Lion Press Articles

Thanks for doing this @Gary Oswald ! Something I should have started back when I was doing it and would have been far easier to do as I went along, so many thanks for doing the hard yards now. (And once again, for taking over the reins and forging on so well)
  15. AndyC

The Launchbox, Pod 14: The Near Misses of Gemini (Part 2)

Essentially, the US Space Race was saved due to the fact that Frank Borman was Genre Savvy.
  16. AndyC

That’s the one. I suddenly thought - if the thruster worked fine for six or seven hours after launch before going wrong, why not, say, eight, nine, ten hours. So the mission would have unfolded normally until whatever point... oh, crap.
  17. AndyC

I actually had another thought for a truly horrifying What If on Gemini 8 as I woke up this morning, so I've hurriedly edited that thought into the article...
  18. AndyC

Alternate History and Pandemics

Oh, in the End and Afterwards, the utilities all fell over as well due to the pandemic taking down too many of their workers, and the hoarders were guessing that was about to happen. I’d have guessed that people might have feared that in this pandemic (more so than toilet paper running out)...
  19. AndyC

Launchbox PoD 11: The Near Misses of Mercury

There is a rumour that Gagarin tried to get Komarov (who died on Soyuz 1, and pretty much saw it coming before launch) to step down from the flight so that he (Gagarin), as reserve pilot would be slotted in. And then the Politburo would overrule the launch decision for fear of losing Gagarin in...
  20. AndyC

Launchbox PoD 11: The Near Misses of Mercury

The explosion-rate of Atlas launches when they strapped John Glenn in at the top of Mercury-Atlas-6 was pretty bad. Counting "partial failures" as "successes" (because they allowed you to get the capsule back if they happened on a manned launch), in 17 launch attempts of an Atlas rocket prior...