• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. T

Kindle rankings

I recall @Jared commenting that "Walking Through Dreams" ended up in something like the Native American Literature chart. Who are we to argue with an algorithm whose cybernetic brainpower is so awesome that it routinely recommends my own books to me?
  2. T

Doctor Who Unbound: Exile

OK, that makes sense - the second time I tried didn't catch up earlier.
  3. T

Doctor Who Unbound: Exile

Weird, again I tweeted this earlier but it didn't go through - will do so now.
  4. T

For your next challenge, you must walk across this swimming pool full of Slimfast balancing a...

For your next challenge, you must walk across this swimming pool full of Slimfast balancing a canister of Shake 'n' Vac on your head and not let a single corpuscle of freshness escape into the strawberry dietary aid.
  5. T

Drake's Drum

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've just got to the part where Harris goes and we get more targeted bombing of oil and electricity vs city bombing, it's certainly an interesting question. I think what helps a lot in DD is that every time it looks as though things are going too well for the...
  6. T

Drake's Drum

Currently reading and enjoying the current Drake's Drum volume. I particularly like the use of the OTL 1947 bitter winter and its effect on a longer/interrupted WW2. Overall the conceit reminds me a bit of Bobby Hardenbrooke's Shattered World online AH, but feels a bit less tech-wowie for the...
  7. T

Fiction Friction: But What If Your Reboot Sucks?

A good point, and I discuss an example of this in a later article in this series.
  8. T

Cartographicum Thandeum

I'll round out the 2017 maps with the SNP, and in this case I'll repost my 2015 map for a comparison. As I've noted before, we really don't talk enough about how the SNP vote collapsed in 2017. The electorate-share system shows this starkly; not only that the party lost support compared to...
  9. T

Things that were invented at the wrong time and in the wrong order

Good thread idea. Not sure if this quite qualifies, but one obvious one is that moveable-type print was invented first by a civilisation whose written language used thousands of logograms, and only later adopted by a civilisation that used an alphabet of ~26 letters - when the latter kind of...
  10. T

The flying head of Dmitry Medvedev Vs. The Cat's Pyjamas

The flying head of Dmitry Medvedev Vs. The Cat's Pyjamas
  11. T

Fiction Friction: But What If Your Reboot Sucks?

I didn't want to get into that as it's not the main point, but I think it's a good example of how a series is clearly designed for a new generation of young players each time, not appealing to veterans (e.g. very basic, unskippable tutorials and explanations every time, dialogue and plots aimed...
  12. T

Cartographicum Thandeum

Lib Dem electorate-share map, 2017. In this election, the level of 'background' support for the party had fallen to almost nothing outside the South of England and a few other areas, but this did not stop the characteristic highly effective campaigns in currently held seats elsewhere. This...
  13. T

Cartographicum Thandeum

Possible swing key for some parties using inverted colours. Not sure if this works or not, in particular the anti-Labour teal seems to lack definition to me. (Edit: While still true to some extent, this was mostly because I coloured it in wrong - now fixed!)
  14. T

No pampered pooch can resist the meaty texture of Tarson's Woofo Chunks

No pampered pooch can resist the meaty texture of Tarson's Woofo Chunks
  15. T

'Jimmy Dean's Last Dance' review

I agree with the point about AH being a canvas you can adapt to any genre - this is very different from how we typically use AH here, but still very interesting.
  16. T

A map of New Hampshire and a book about earwax

A map of New Hampshire and a book about earwax
  17. T

Cartographicum Thandeum

Conservative % electorate-share, 2017 - rainbow heatmap (I.e. what percentage of eligible voters, not actual voters, voted Conservative in each constituency) Same, but for Labour: NB these are done to 1 decimal place and then rounded down, never up (i.e. if it's 16.8%, that gets the 14%...
  18. T

Drake's Drum

Blimey, don't tell them about LITERALLY EVERY OTHER BOOK WE PUBLISH (nearly)
  19. T

Fiction Friction: Reboots, Remakes and Reimaginings

It previously appears in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" when Bond goes to the Royal College of Arms and they show him his own in passing. On checking the book (grunts to prise it out of the complete set carboard box holder thing), it did appear there, and I think this is what @Gary Oswald was...
  20. T

Batman: Gotham By Gaslight Film Review

Weird, I tweeted this this morning but it didn't stick - will do it again.