• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. G

Alternate History General Discussion

I think that some of this is down to writing episodically for online fora. Authors might worry about complaints if certain characters are given the idiot ball to hold. "Why would they do such an obviously self-defeating thing?" they cry. This is where footnotes of "this is OTL" can be handy...
  2. G

Association football tend not to make the same level of statistical data publicly available as their American football counterparts, so it's hard to be certain. The issue is that the skill set required is quite different. Even ignoring the foot/hand dichotomy, the heavy, often explosive contact...
  3. G

Jared Kavanagh nominated for Sidewise Award

Congratulations!
  4. G

Andrew Harvey and Matthew Kresal nominated for Sidewise Award

Congratulations!
  5. G

AH: Operation Sea Lion – the unmentionable sea mammal

Given the number of people in OTL who believe that a) the Germans were about to invade, and b) any such attempt would have been successful, I think you're bang on the money. Whether the Vichy fleet could have been used isn't particularly important. If the narrative emerges that the reason it...
  6. G

AH: Operation Sea Lion – the unmentionable sea mammal

I imagine that that TL's alternate historians would posit that, sans Mers-el-Kebir, Hitler could have seized the Vichy Fleet. In these circumstances, the RN would have had a far harder time throwing back Sea Lion. This would therefore make the decision to destroy the fleet at anchor a...
  7. G

Fight and Be Right

It seems that I did not, in fact, recall correctly. I wonder where I got that idea from?
  8. G

Fight and Be Right

Iirc, even the idea that the tale would stop, as there was nothing more to be told, rather than going to the present day, was relatively revolutionary.
  9. G

2001 Restoration of the Afghan Monarchy

Monastical, or monarchical?
  10. G

Unthinkapocalypses, rather than Fuldapocalypses?
  11. G

The following is all very broad brush strokes, but: I think another reason is that most authors are likely to be from the colonising side of the equation, rather than the colonised. Even those who aren't a little too fond of painting the map their preferred colour will probably have a less...
  12. G

Fiction Friction: Box Office Bombshells

An important point, @DocU. From the 1990s onwards, the audience has become ever more fragmented. The common cultural touchstones have become rather eroded, even as the ability to consume the same media as others all over the world, and at any time one wishes, has increased.
  13. G

I'm making sure any Thomas episodes have either Ringo or Michael Angelis on the voice-over. They're going down well. He's never been one for cuddly toys, really. Anything with wheels. In fact, he took a brio James the Red Engine (as well as a police car) to bed with him tonight.
  14. G

I've got it on DVD somewhere. And the proper Mr Men series, narrated by Arthur Lowe. I need to hunt them down, as my little one is just reaching the correct age.
  15. G

Bigg City Port was almost as important as Sodor in my childhood. Literally none of my friends at school had ever heard of TUGS. It was only when I started using the internet regularly at age 18 or so when I was assured that other people had seen it.
  16. G

Good article, although I think "purchasable hope media" should read "purchasable home media". The "toys to tie in to decades old media" thing strikes a big chord with me. Because my brother's best friend had a Mam who worked in Fenwicks, we got our hands on the must have Christmas present of...
  17. G

My question is whether the failures noted are proof that there was no plan, or whether the plan didn't succeed. If the latter, there are further questions: was the plan realistic? If not, why was it adhered to? If it was realistic, how did the failures occur? Were they systemic or individual...
  18. G

Post-Ming musing

My knowledge of China could be written on the back of a postage stamp, but I'm interested to see the discussion on this one.
  19. G

Armada of 1779

So why did they employ deception, then wait for the Spanish fleet? This isn't a gotcha, it's a genuine question, as this area is well outside my normal reading.
  20. G

WI: Italy remains neutral during World War 2 - impact of a "Fascist bloc" during the Cold War?

Yeah, that's the thing. Otl shows that Benny never saw a hornets' nest that he didn't think he could stick his hand in. France is far too tempting.