• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. R

20 July Plot Succeeds in Killing Hitler

Nothing real to add just now, except one of my favourite last lines in any film: "They've abandoned their tanks. They're walking back to Germany."
  2. R

Doctor Who Unbound: Full Fathom Five

My own Unbound idea has always been that there's no Watcher in Logopolis, so the Fourth Doctor has a long, drawn out, painful death and the alternate Fifth Doctor is born an angry, bitter, vengeful man. Final twist would be that, after going too far, this alternate Fifth Doctor is the Watcher.
  3. R

I did forget that, @Ncw8, have to admit the Bernice audios were the one rabbit hole I never went down. Wonder if they asked the BBC if they could crossover any canon Doctor only to receive a curt "naw m8".
  4. R

My second favourite of the Unbound audios. David Collings makes for a good performance as the Doctor even this nasty version, and I'm a big fan of things set on underwater bases. @M_Kresal makes a very good point that this story (and I suppose a few of the other Unbound too) came just at the...
  5. R

Yeah this is why the scenario still interests me avoiding the "wallies join with muh beautiful and progressive prussian junkers to take on the bolsheviks" wish-fulfilment it normally devolves into when posited. If the immediate effects are as @Death's Companion suggests (war ends a few months...
  6. R

One thing we don't talk enough about in alternate history is World War II generally and Nazi Germany more specifically. We also don't seem to yet have a thread on this specific issue so given today's date (with apologies to everyone points east of the Caspian Sea) what if Claus von Stauffenberg...
  7. R

'Axis of Andes' review

I'm enjoying this feels like someone is live tweeting AH events.
  8. R

'Axis of Andes' review

Great review! I was very attracted to this when I saw it on the Old Country but found it impenetrable after a while because of the issues Gary addresses, but the plus points are all there. Might consider trying again but just jumping into the second part!
  9. R

AHC: Have Labour and the Liberals be the two major parties of Britain Politics?

Don't know how you'd achieve that but it's the tastiest prospect. A split of the Tories into Conservatives (who got the National Liberal route into the Liberals) and the Unionists who remain the third party and have a bedrock in Scotland and Norn.
  10. R

Musical or Comedy

If anyone wants to see the OTL disastrous musical number from the 1989 Academy Awards... here you go:
  11. R

Gulf War in 1961

Was unaware of this potential and I have to say I'm intrigued. The very boring thing would be to say the UK sends a sternly worded letter and the annexation continues apace until Iraq either pisses off the wrong neighbour and/or alienates the wrong people within the country. Boring is unfair...
  12. R

Musical or Comedy

Post it again, problem solved!
  13. R

Doctor Who Unbound: Sympathy For The Devil

I prefer the version of the joke from Father Ted. "The level of commitment amongst the African church in bringing the faith to the people is just wonderful...it’s marvellous, isn’t it?" "Sure I wouldn't know, I'm from Donegal."
  14. R

Doctor Who Unbound: Sympathy For The Devil

Great article on one of my favourite Big Finish audios. I discovered this during the time I was getting into both Classic Who and alternate history so it really fell at the intersection of those twin obsessions. It's a great point you make about the weight with which events are mentioned gets...
  15. R

Scenes We'd Like To See: Alternate Movies, Television & Other Pop Culture Miscellanea

I read recently that in the early 1950s roller derby was just as popular on television as professional wrestling, and it's easy to see some similarities being ostensibly sporting presentation yet with a great emphasis on characters and showmanship. Roller derby could command just as great an...
  16. R

Doctor Who Unbound: Auld Mortality

The start of a new series of reviews? Always felt Auld Mortality was hindered by being the most atypical (well, second most atypical after Deadline) Doctor Who story in the Unbound range; and I had never read Lungbarrow when I first listened to it so something might have been lost. Preferred A...
  17. R

'The Man with the Iron Heart' review

A version of this can be found in the collection Travellers in an Antique Land available where all good alternate histories are sold. I forget who wrote it but I'm sure he's handsome and erudite.
  18. R

'The Man with the Iron Heart' review

Great review, does well to touch upon the real implausibility of it.
  19. R

'Ruled Britannia' review

Happy birthday! RIP... Convenient, in a way.
  20. R

Scenes We'd Like To See: Alternate Movies, Television & Other Pop Culture Miscellanea

New book coming out that might be of interest to forum and to readers of this thread in particular. https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/393775/new-book-will-now-reveal-history-behind-unmade-classics-like-del-toros-at-the-mountains-of-madness-blomkamps-aliens-2-and-more/ From the images on Amazon...