• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. V

Alternate Fusion Cuisines

If Chinese labor was imported en masse to work the Mexican silver mines, like it was later in California's gold mines and railroads in OTL, you might get a Sino-Mexican cuisine.
  2. V

Kung Fu Antipopes and Other Strange Stories

That's fine! I'm glad you shared your thoughts. My thinking for Hungry Dead was I wanted to showcase all the stories in the collection, and doing so by the medium of having each one be represented by an object in Elise Cooper's (the titular Governess of Greenmere) study seemed the best way to...
  3. V

Thank you! My artist and designer do great work :)
  4. V

Alternate outcomes to the fall of the Ming?

First off, I admit I don't know all that much about the Ming-Qing transition beyond what I've read in a few general histories of China. But is there any way to have the fall of the Ming result in a different outcome - could the Shun Dynasty somehow survive? Is there any way for Wu Sangui to fend...
  5. V

Resources and miscellaneous tools thread

So I found this collection of maps published by the Nazis during their occupation of the Baltics during WW2. Very comprehensive set of maps covering all sorts of topics. It might be of use to anybody writing a story or TL set during that time and place...
  6. V

Alternate History General Discussion

I like AANW for what it is, but there's a dearth of good stories about what life in the victorious Reich would be like instead of stories about how the Nazis win the war, so I do wonder what might have been (no pun intended).
  7. V

... I disclaim all knowledge of the location of the Führerleiche.
  8. V

A free preview - the first story in the collection. *** Kung Fu Antipopes Once upon a time… It is a hot day in Sicily, boiling hot, and they have come from all corners of Christendom. Brother Matthew looks around, marvelling at the tremendous diversity of spectators. Franciscans...
  9. V

My latest collection of genre short stories is now available in Kindle and POD. If you're like me, and I know I am, it might appeal to your interests. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098G94T54 Kung Fu Antipopes is the latest collection of short stories from Paul Leone, the author of The Mysteries...
  10. V

“Inevitable Cities” of the West Coast?

That's true! I haven't worked out all the details of the history of China's overseas province (largely because it's straining plausibility to have China pivot to overseas settler colonialism as late as the post-Ming era - the POD is that a native dynasty replaces the Ming instead of the Manchus...
  11. V

I can testify to purchasing this being a sound decision.
  12. V

And it's done! Well, except for the part where I consult Chinese speakers and watch them weep at what Google Translate has wrought, anyway. 豐玉省 Fengyusheng Abundant Jade Province Prefectures 虎鯨 Hujing (Killer Whale) - Vancouver Island - Victoria 吳东 Wudong (Eastern Wu) - Washington - Port...
  13. V

The great work (?) continues... In this installment, I got lazy and used several city names from ancient China or transliterated Native American names. Tier 1 cities 天湾 Tianwan (Heavenly Bay) - Santa Clara 神京 Shenjing (Divine Capital) - Victoria, BC 薩利磯 Saliji (Salish Rock) Suquamish...
  14. V

This is very helpful! You can only glean so much from looking at Google Maps and Wikipedia. I'm leaning towards Vancouver WA (龜峡 Guixia (Turtle Gorge)) as the Portland counterpart.
  15. V

Incoming machine translation! 豐玉省 Fengyusheng Abundant Jade Province Prefectures 虎鯨 Hujing (Killer Whale) - Vancouver Island - Victoria 吳东 Wudong (Eastern Wu) - Washington - Port Madison 海東 Haidong (East of the Sea) - Washington/Oregon 1 - Astoria 支努干 Zhinugan (Chinook)- Washington/Oregon 2...
  16. V

This is still simmering in my brainpan and I've got the skeleton of an idea for a Chinese Pacific Coast province, at least. All things are subject to change, and just because a city doesn't make the list of prefecture capitals doesn't mean it's not large or important. Look at US state capitals...
  17. V

This is true. h'm
  18. V

Thanks again for the ideas - now I'm tempted to focus on the Columbia River and have an Isabella Bird style narrative as, um, Constance Finch, yeah, that's it... travels from "Astoria" up into the rural, mountainous upper reaches of the river. (Tangent - what might a Chinese transliteration of...
  19. V

Thanks, all. I have a tentative list of some cities for potential inclusion. Feel free to offer alternatives and additions, especially for Tier 2. Tier 1 San Francisco Victoria, BC (in addition to or perhaps replacing Vancouver?) Port Madison, Washington (replacing Seattle) Vancouver...