• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. G

Glhermine's maps
    Threadmarks Mexico 2020 place of birth

So I hope this will be more interesting for people - place of birth. We obviously hear a lot about Mexican immigration to the US but there's also a lot of internal migration within Mexico as well as return migration from the US and growing foreign immigration to Mexico. In 2020, 102.7 million...
  2. G

Glhermine's maps
    Threadmarks Mexico 2020 fertility rate

The average number of children born, at any point in time, per women over 12 was 2.1 in 2020, down from 2.3 in 2010 and the lowest in recorded history - the fertility rate was over 6 until the mid-1970s. Guerrero and Zacatecas had the highest (2.5), followed by Michoacán and Oaxaca (2.4). CDMX...
  3. G

Glhermine's maps
    Threadmarks Mexico age groups 2020

Here is a map by age groups, defined by me. You may take issue with my groupings and I don't love them myself, but whatever. I think they're still useful. 0-14 - 25.3% of the Mexican population: Chiapas has the highest percentage of children (32%), closely followed by Guerrero (29%)...
  4. G

Glhermine's maps
    Threadmarks Mexico age stats 2020

Now moving on to some age statistics. The median age in 2020 was 29 years old, compared to 26 in 2010. This is the highest median age since at least the 1950s, Mexico's median age has been gradually increasing since the 1970s. CDMX was the oldest state, with a median age of 35, followed by...
  5. G

Glhermine's maps
    Threadmarks Mexico 2015-2020 population growth

Here's another annual population growth map, but for 2015-2020 instead. There was an 'intercensal survey' in 2015 of 6.1 million households. The population reported in 2015 was 119.5 million, compared to 126 million in 2020. Population growth nationally was 1.2% annually from 2010-15 and 1.1%...
  6. G

Glhermine's maps

Monterrey's metropolitan area (the core municipality itself less so) is certainly still a rapidly growing area - its population is now over 4.6 million, compared to 3.9 million in 2010 and 3.2 million in 2000. But another border metropolitan area which is growing even faster is Tijuana - as of...
  7. G

Glhermine's maps
    Threadmarks Mexico 1895-2020 state population data

Here is the state population (absolute and share of the national population) in every census since 1895 CDMX/DF peaked in the 1970 census when it made up 14.3% of the Mexican population, it is now down to 7.3% of the country's population. Edomex's population surge from the rapid suburban...
  8. G

Glhermine's maps
    Threadmarks Mexico 2020 Census population

I've finally gotten around to making some basic maps of the 2020 Mexican census data at the state level. To start off with, population growth: For whatever reason, I can't seem to understand how INEGI calculated its average annual pop growth numbers in its executive summary presentation for...
  9. G

Glhermine's maps
    Threadmarks Mexico 2000 megamap

Did this map a while ago, but here is the 2000 Mexican presidential election at the municipal level. Goes without saying that Vicente Fox's victory in 2000 was the PRI's first defeat in a national election. He won 42.5% against 36.1% for the priista candidate, Francisco Labastida, former...
  10. G

Glhermine's maps
    Threadmarks Mexico 2018 megamap

Here is the finished product of a crazy project: the 2018 Mexican election down to the municipal level. Always a rewarding end product but making it is long and tedious, and lots of questions like "why does Oaxaca/Tlaxcala have so many municipalities" or "were Yucatán's municipal boundaries...
  11. G

Glhermine's maps

Here's an ethnic map of Peru on the basis of the ethnic self-identification question of the 2017 census, down to the provincial level (second-level). Nationally the population is 60.2% mestizo, 22.3% Quechua, 5.9% white, 3.6% black/brown, 2.4% Aimara, 1% other and 0.9% Amazon...
  12. G

Glhermine's maps

A few years ago, I made a map of the indigenous population of the Americas based on national census data. This time I went with something a bit more complicated: a map of the black population of the Americas. Again it is based on the most recent national census data which, in nearly every...
  13. G

Election maps and assorted others

You can find 1962, 1967, 1978 and 1981 overseas results in these two old PCF documents: 1967 (and 1962): https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k130733 1981 (and 1978): https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k13218h?rk=21459;2 Unfortunately, for other overseas results during this period I remain...
  14. G

Glhermine's maps

Petén (the far north department) has a lot of Mayan archeological sites like Tikal but a lot of those were abandoned during the 'Classic Maya collapse' in the lowlands, and the remaining Mayan (Itzá) population was conquered by the Spanish in 1697 and thereafter largely decimated by European...
  15. G

Glhermine's maps

More Guatemala content. I've made an ethnic map on the basis of 2018 Census data. In 2018, 56% identified as 'Ladino' (i.e. Spanish-speaking, non-indigenous mestizo/white), 41.7% as Maya and 1.8% as Xinka. Very small percentages identified as Garifuna or Afro-descendant/Creole. Mayans make up...
  16. G

Glhermine's maps

So this map is pretty old (2017, apparently) but I recently reminded myself of its existence and it's one of the more interesting ones I've made since it is not a topic I've seen many maps from. It's a racial self-identification map from the Cuban 2012 census, which asked for skin colour with...
  17. G

Glhermine's maps

Second round of the 2019 Guatemalan presidential election by municipality. Alejandro Giammattei, the latest candidate of the corrupt traditional business elites, defeated corrupt populist Sandra Torres with 58% in the runoff. As I have touched upon in a post in the global elections thread a...
  18. G

My apologies for posting in your map thread, but to accompany your 1965 map, here's a map of the 1965 runoff results by constituency which I made some time ago:
  19. G

Paraguay sends troops to Vietnam

Colombia's participation in the Korean War is largely a very brief sidenote, if even mentioned, in general histories of Colombia and I'd be surprised if many Colombians were even at all aware of the Batallón Colombia (but Colombians usually have a very poor knowledge of their own history). Of...
  20. G

I assume you're aware of this, but in case you aren't, the Assemblée nationale's database of former deputies is very good and the Third Republic deputies all (?) have a copy of their biography from the dictionary of French parliamentarians 1889-1940. The biography often includes details on their...