• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. M

No or Different Chernobyl?

I'm not certain how much AH is out there revolving around major industrial and/or ecological events, but this one came to mind after rereading an overview of Gorbachev's premiership, which described Chernobyl as his first major crisis. If the accident had not happened, for any one of a number...
  2. M

Two WWI PODs

Re-reading Persico's WWI work 11th Month, 11th, Day, 11th Hour, and a couple of random possible PODs jumped out: 1. Schlieffen lives/stays in the army long enough to actually oversee the plan named for him (supposedly a kick from a horse in 1905 made him "incapable of battle" and led him to...
  3. M

French Win at Agincourt?

Been going through some more old History Channel docs as part of keeping the COVID isolation at bay, and the most recent was the Battlefield Detectives episode on the 1415 Battle of Agincourt, which goes in-depth into how terrain, weather, crowd control failure, and the French abandoning their...
  4. M

Two Medieval PODs

(Accidentally posted in Writing; reposted here!) Thanks to my Crusades-themed reading of late, a great many interesting PODs are coming to mind; here are two that rise high above the rest: 1. Religious/military order "nation" in Iberia (and no, this isn't a set-up for a Templar Holy...
  5. M

No Crusades?

Random, obviously heavyweight scenario that's arisen while re-reading up on the First Crusade: What if this form of warfare had never been conceived of/adopted? The source I'm currently going through discusses the trends of "just war" merging with "sanctified violence" and of increasing...
  6. M

Stronger "colonization" push by Jefferson?

Random scenario coming to mind, based on this passage from Thomas Jefferson's Notes on the State of Virginia: "[T]hey should be colonized to such place as the circumstances of the time should render most proper, sending them out with arms, implements of household and of the handicraft arts...
  7. M

2 Random Japanese PODs

Just rewatched a documentary on the history of the samurai, and a couple of potential PODs in Japanese history popped out: 1. WI Tokugawa Ieyasu loses at Sekigahara, maybe through failing to coerce the daimyo that IOTL defected to his side to do so? First likely change is no or a delayed...
  8. M

Longer-lasting First Triumvirate?

Been reading a book on the most noteworthy generals of the Roman Republic and Empire, and the current chapter discusses the lead-up to and events of the civil war between Caesar and Pompey. One passing background section describes how there was some impetus for a new war with Parthia around the...
  9. M

China DOESN'T enter the Korean War?

Just a random thought, after reading this NPR piece: What are the odds of China staying out of the Korean War, and for what reasons might it do so? Mao clearly saw the American advance to the Yalu as a threat, and the elimination of Kim Il-Sung as an ally/vassal, so what if anything would...
  10. M

Changing Member Names?

I'm curious as to whether it's possible to change one's member name on this website. I originally made mine from combined initials and shortened birth year, but having discovered what the latter can be/has been associated with (spec. the Nazi salute), I'd like to know if I can possibly change this.
  11. M

Italy leaves the Axis?

Just a random scenario I've been thinking over on and off, encouraged of late by Time Enough's most recent post here, a boredom-induced re-reading of this old timeline, and coming across this decent map of the scenario's outcome in PKD's work: What PODs would have to occur for Italy (with or...
  12. M

1955-57: Return of the Stalinists?

Just a random scenario that popped into mind after reading a bit about the effects of Khrushchev's "Secret Speech": In OTL, following Stalin's death and Beria's execution, Khrushchev, Molotov, and Malenkov were effectively the top three contenders for successor, with Malenkov officially in that...
  13. M

Communist China without Mao?

I'm reading a biography on Mao Tse-Tung, and currently going through the period just prior to the Long March (early fall 1934). In one passage, it's described how Mao contracted a severe case of malaria that only passed after a long stretch and enough skilled treatment by the CCP's best doctor...
  14. M

Western Roman Empire vs. Eastern Roman Empire?

Extremely handwavey scenario, coming to mind after re-reading part of Roma Eterna for nostalgic reasons: Presuming the Western and Eastern Roman Empires both survive beyond 476 and 1453 (though not necessarily into the modern day), with or without traditional borders, what are the odds of/chains...
  15. M

No Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact?

Wasn't sure if this had already come up in a different thread, but here goes: It's widely accepted that the 1939 Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact cleared the last hurdle(s) for the German invasion of Poland and the start of WWII in Europe. But if the Pact hadn't been negotiated, or the talks had fallen...
  16. M

Philip the Great?

In an AH essay I've been re-reading about Alexander dying prematurely at Granicus, there's a brief section that talks about his father Philip's assassination, right as he's preparing for a campaign against Persia. Leaving out the debate over who was behind his murder (Pausanias due to a personal...
  17. M

Larger-scale US WWII Internments?

Musing on the Japanese-American internment camps, and the (much smaller) number of German- and Italian-Americans also interned, a thought occurs: What would've had to happen, or gone differently, for the latter two populations to face a dragnet similar to that endured by the former? Race was...
  18. M

Permanent Western Schism?

Re-read up on the Great Western Schism (1378-1417) a little bit ago, and an interesting scenario came to mind: What if the Schism had been made permanent, resulting in two Western papacies at Avignon and Rome perhaps lasting into the modern era? What events would have had to change for this to...
  19. M

Post-CMC WWIII World?

Recently finished playing (for nostalgia's sake) the AH game Cuban Missile Crisis: The Aftermath and its somewhat abbreviated, cobbled-together sequel Ice Crusade, and got to wondering what the world might realistically look like in the wake of a nuclear Third World War resulting from the CMC...
  20. M

AH WTC 1993 Bombing

Random AH thought recently: What would have been the consequences of the 1993 World Trade Center attack succeeding (with one tower destroyed, or both as intended)? Would something like the War on Terror (with or without the Afghanistan and Iraq invasions) been launched eight years earlier? What...