• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Search results

1. O

How Can You Get A Longer Lasting Electoral Successful Communist Party Of Great Britain?

Sneaky but boring answer is have STV pass at some point interwar, I guess.
  2. O

Could the Republic of Texas survive, even as a rump republic?

Specifically it was quite close between Polk (pro-annexation Democrat) and Clay (waffly Whig). The initial frontrunner for the Democratic nomination, however, was staunchly anti-annexation former President Martin Van Buren, and he actually started with a majority of delegates, but couldn't get...
  3. O

Could the Republic of Texas survive, even as a rump republic?

I think it probably requires a POD in the USA rather than in Texas - AIUI annexation was a lot more controversial in the US whilst it was really the entire point of the Republic in the first place. Maybe something with the 1844 presidential election could delay it a bit?
  4. O

Football PoDs and alternate possibilities.

Just found one Sky Sports did in 2016 https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/10233723/footballs-parallel-universe-what-if-the-two-point-win-had-remained
  5. O

Someone probably has in more detail but the only change I'm sure of is the draw would have been enough for United's third title in a row in 1995 (although only only on goal difference).
  6. O

Alternate History General Discussion

Anguilla?
  7. O

More combining World Cup qualification with continental championships could also be interesting IMO. Is there any way to have a single Americas federation? Feel like football's quite exceptional in not having one.
  8. O

Explicitly one reason why Brazil advocated bringing back round robins in 1950 I believe (of course they also wanted more ticket sale revenue). I think if WW2 is somehow avoided you could get it continue in 1942, and likely another European host in 1946, and maybe you could have a rugby sevens...
  9. O

The Advice and The Appellant, by SJ Reynolds

I think @Ciclavex did in one bit of Fashions Made Sacred
  10. O

London Mayoral PODs

Wasn't Boothroyd talked about as a possibility for 2000, and polled pretty well?
  11. O

Nonpartisan Large Democracy

The only version of that I've seen anywhere is some kind of runoff I think. You could argue this was more or less the system in the early Third Republic in France (although I think there was no withdrawal requirement - @Redolegna?) before national organised parties really emerged on the left...
  12. O

Nonpartisan Large Democracy

Depending on your definition of democracy, you could argue the Islamic Republic of Iran qualified on that for most of its history - maybe it could be larger and maintain that somehow?
  13. O

It would definitely be a stretch but it's also definitely not completely out there IMO. They've gotten past the group stage for the last seven World Cups but only won a knockout game in 1986 on home soil.
  14. O

New England gets partitioned, 1635

Is New Netherland able to swallow its immigrants linguistically, would be my first question?
  15. O

1923-24 springs to mind - if Cardiff manage to score against Birmingham or Huddersfield don't get their third on the last day of the season the league has a Welsh champion. And 2012 of course.
  16. O

I think you could have the Home Nations Championship maybe just not seen as "international" over time. Something like the State of Origin in Australian rugby league, maybe.
  17. O

WI: SPD Wins More Seats than the Union in 2005

At that point the result was very close, the CDU/CSU only got I think four more seats (out of over six hundred total). Presumably there would have been another grand coalition anyway, but with an SPD Chancellor. Would it have been Schroeder (who after all is not anywhere near as humiliated by...
  18. O

I can quite enjoy ISOTs but there is definitely an inherent tendency toward "WI: Colonialism but good?"
  19. O

The Marble Man: The Guns of the South, The Lost Cause, and Harry Turtledove

Oddly I think this is done less badly (though it is obviously still pretty problematic) in TL-191, which has a worse reputation overall. Longstreet's conversion is portrayed as for cynical reasons rather than idealistic ones, and he did support Reconstruction for similar cynical reasons OTL. So...
  20. O

French Revolution and Napoleonic PODs pretty popular pre-WW2. Kennedy lives seems a reasonably common idea, but I can't think of any works about it.