• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by Tovarich

1. T

What does "sealioning" mean in a disciplinary context?

Ah, thank you, I see now. Absolutely nothing to do with our sealion whatsoever. I have to admit having seen that cartoon once before in the Other Place, but even then I misinterpreted it as decrying all the "WI Successful Sealion?" threads, D'OH! Cheers for the explanation.
  2. T

What does "sealioning" mean in a disciplinary context?

I'm asking here, rather then unfairly draw direct attention to a kicked member by using reply to the Mod post. But I'm totally bewildered here, I cannot think of any connection between the actioned post(s) and the USM. Also, maybe I'm not the only old git who is confused yet would hate to...
  3. T

ChatGPT and creating alternate history

Although it could be said that all the fiction here on SLP is fanfic. It's just that the authors (and us readers) are fans of history rather than some copyrighted IP.
  4. T

Least favorite alt-history story?

I bet it was you wrote to Tharg around xmas '79, pointing out that the New Thrill! wasn't all-original work from TMO's Droids. Which is ironic* considering your complaint about swiping in the original books. *(or maybe the opposite of ironic. Like 99% of anglophones, I always get those mixed-up.)
  5. T

Alternate History in Star Trek Part 22: The Glory Days of Deep Space Nine

As a good friend of @Bruno*, you should already know it's perfectly possible for someone to die of "Risan Euphemism" in one place and then die again later on somewhere else. *(Many many years later, we all hope!)
  6. T

Hey, don't look at us to pick up your slack on the old imperialism. We had our hands full with that 1/3 of the globe's land (plus all of the oceans) we'd already swiped. It's not as if we didn't teach you how to do it before sending you out into the world all independent. You had the skill set...
  7. T

Scenes We'd Like To See: Alternate Movies, Television & Other Pop Culture Miscellanea

Can't wait for the prequel. Which is a sign of how good your ideas are, because usually my response when I see the word applied to anything is "Oh no, a prequel!" Tiny thing: Did you mean to cast David "Chinese Detective" Yip? I imdb'd Derek Yip and there is one, but he's a film/tv music producer.
  8. T

Oh, I dunno about that. I can think of a very long-running TL which began that way and I think it was because the author (a noted D&D player) simply wished to play around with their favourite late-C20 and mid-C18 political figures, not suspecting at the time that it would become a multi-million...
  9. T

Review: Very British Dystopias

You are mixing them up, Jan. In the book, the media are distracted by the Downing St press office (I can't remember how) whilst the Foreign Secretary sneaks out of the country for a whirlwind trip round several Gulf states, returning with a VC10 cargo-hold full of petrodollars.
  10. T

I guess Kratman just doesn't listen to hiphop.
  11. T

Review: The Big One Series

Ah, I wondered why I couldn't get a TBO membership (so I could continue following JN1's excellent The Last War* story) when the fiction went behind-closed-doors. Embarrassing to admit, but up until just now I thought that Slade had me on a personal ban-list for being left-wing on AH.com. I now...
  12. T

Review: The Big One Series

Biggest flaw I found with the book was editing. As a reader, I already knew the book began as a series of online posts, so eg, when out of nowhere it has a Goodyear Corsair pilot especially enjoying demolishing Notre Dame cathedral with 20mm cannon, I knew that was Slade tipping his hat to an...
  13. T

Scenes We'd Like To See: Alternate Movies, Television & Other Pop Culture Miscellanea

When I read the book, shortly before the film came out, in my mind's-eye William of Baskerville was Alan Bennett and Adso of Melk was Derek Nimmo.
  14. T

Moorcock would read mean if he were writing out a Mother's Day card.
  15. T

Should the Writing forum be made public?

It'd honestly never occurred to me that only members can read the writing on here. I feel quite privileged now, and resolve to be a less lazy consumer and comment more often.
Back