• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by SpanishSpy

1. S

Alternate History General Discussion

I get this feeling with a lot of internet and self-published AH. I can't help but think AH is now in a similar position that science fiction was by the late 1950s. This was the time when the John W. Campbell-promoted consensus of sparse prose, flat characters, and devotion to hard science at the...
  2. S

'Rodham' Review

I wouldn't call it dull - Sittenfeld's big strengths are her prose and how she develops Hillary as a character. Those two kept me going - that, and a curiosity as to how she'd actually pull it off.
  3. S

'Rodham' Review

Late response because my procrastination knows no bounds. It's a book where there's a lot to unpack - I find it easier to write about books like that. Being crafted by a 'literary' author certainly helps. I had a conversation with @Beata Beatrix once in one of the Zoom calls where we agreed...
  4. S

I like to think that my writing style is a direct result of the ungodly amount that I read.
  5. S

Depending on the exact PoD I would be very interested in participating in this. I most definitely could furnish dance AH under the right circumstances. My big dance WI scenario is what happens to American social dance if the Spanish-American War never happens. So much American partner dance...
  6. S

- @SenatorChickpea in his interview on the SLP blog.
  7. S

Interviewing the AH Community: Martin Roy Hill

Very good interview. He's clearly quite the knowledgeable fellow. A quibble: when Mussolini referred to 'corporatism,' rule by large companies is not what he meant. It's a rookie political science mistake up there with 'dictatorship of the proletariat' (although given the likes of Stalin and...
  8. S

'The Old New Land' and the Doomed Utopia of Israel

I keep intending to read more about Liberia, partially because it seems to be a mirror of Israel from my vantage point.
  9. S

The country wasn't designed by Evangelicals, though; if we're going with the science fiction metaphor, those Christians are the weird periphery fanbase that nevertheless gives the Israelis a lot of money and so the latter has to put up with the former. It was a huge scandal when it became...
  10. S

In regards to scheduling (@Thande @Meadow ) I don't have a problem with delaying it being shared around. I wouldn't want y'all to be the subject of abuse on my account. As said in the article, my interest in the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict started in the summer of 2019, with a particular...
  11. S

He ain't nothing but a hound dog.
  12. S

Could the Republic of Texas survive, even as a rump republic?

I could ineffectively 30s Charleston. And I unironically have an idea for an AH story about swing dance so I want @Charles EP M. to get to this pronto. I will invoke my three competition victories if I have to.
  13. S

Could the Republic of Texas survive, even as a rump republic?

As a dancer I second this wholeheartedly.
  14. S

Ed Balls

Ed. Balls.