• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by Roger II

1. R

WI: Harold Wilson had won a substantial majority in 64’

Honestly, I'm interested in a link between a stronger majority gettin Wilson to OU opening which in turn becomes a potential vehicle for job retraining schemes and (as @Time Enough suggests) giving the NUM time and space to work out an orderly wind-down of the coal industry. Maybe without even...
  2. R

AH Challenge: No African-American 20th century 'Great Migration' north and west

Right, and it's possible that a weakened Jim Crow (and maybe an earlier Boll Weevil just for the hell of it) will speed southern industrialization and labor demand.
  3. R

I mean sometimes it's more fun to write optimistic AH
  4. R

Inspired by Is there a way to 1) get Grant more interested in curbing some of the scams and scandals that discredited him and 2) much more important get him, his successors, and other politicians more generally interested in both taking active steps to curb panics and in more generally moving...
  5. R

What about changing the push factors? a post-1868 POD does allow *some* time for more of Reconstruction to stay in place (and for the Boll Weevil to be delayed or come under different circumstances), and I don't think it's inherently unrealistic to avert or weaken Jim Crow, especially if you...
  6. R

What if The USA Entered WW2 in Early 1941?

Also earlier Allied victory has knock-on effects for the state of Israel and European/Med Sea Jewish communities just because the Holocaust hasn't got quite as far-the rural communities of the Pale are shattered by this point but depending on when this victory happens you can get a situation...
  7. R

Alexander the Great lives

I mean I think some level of splits/fracture is inevitable but more because of the limits of how big pre-gunpowder/early modern empires *could feasibly get and stay given available tech and manpower*
  8. R

Alexander the Great lives

I mean Kushan art is pretty heavily influenced by Hellenistic art (at least NW Kushan art) and some of that recurs in the art of Mathura to a degree. So you might see a stronger Indo-Greek sculptural tradition in large swathes of northern India and emulation along the fringes, leading to a sort...
  9. R

John Kerry wins in 2004?

I was twelve and strongly persuaded by Farenheit 9/11. Actually I still am I guess. Sort of.
  10. R

WI: 'Papuan Rice' Domesticated?

well THIS could be interesting.
  11. R

AHC and WI: Abortion Remains a Catholic Issue

Setting aside the Bruenig bullshit, this seems like a pretty specious argument; nobody has any trouble with the idea that it makes sense to define somewhat vague and complicated concepts differently for different purposes-e.g. the issues at stake in inheritance laws (orderly and predictable...
  12. R

WI: British Purchase California in 1841?

Uh just to spot check-would this offer have actually been accepted by Mexico?
  13. R

Fundamentally tho, and this is me double-posting, I think its' a mistake to separate the emergence of abortion as a culture war issue from the broader backlash against feminism and the "women's lib" movement(which ties into backlash to the emerging LGBTQ rights movement, although this is not...
  14. R

FWIW, I think there's some law review papers I've seen suggesting that "Roe was too much too fast and caused a backlash" is overstated based on relatively muted earlier public reactions (and this is an issue I am somewhat personally sensitive on, because I think there's a real tension between...
  15. R

More seriously-I think that not allowing minors to seek abortions or reproductive health care, or parental notification, is extremely dangerous because of what is likely happening that gets a minor pregnant (and it is pretty damn well documented that comprehensive sex ed dramatically reduces...