• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by RobinCarmody

1. R

If those who had died in "their time" had lived longer (if Oscar Wilde had seen WWI and other ideas)

Humphrey Jennings, who died the same year as Orwell, is a very similar case: as with Orwell, you feel that his failure to empathise with the mass working-class discovery of rock'n'roll - "candyfloss culture" and all that - would have been his undoing and would have damaged his reputation. If...
  2. R

If those who had died in "their time" had lived longer (if Oscar Wilde had seen WWI and other ideas)

Another good one: what if David Widgery (who died at 45 in 1992) had lived to see the Blair years? Specifically I'm thinking about some lines from his Telegraph (but remarkably even-handed considering its source) obituary: "his Leninist comrades were sometimes disconcerted by his libertarianism...
  3. R

This one just jumped out at me: what if Enid Blyton lived to be 90, and therefore witnessed the 1970s and most of the 1980s? You can certainly imagine her being paranoid about Britain going communist in the 1970s (in OTL, the updated ITV adaptation of the Famous Five didn't have its last...
  4. R

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

apropos the Black Panther/Confederate collaboration upthread, some extreme Black Nationalists/Black Supremacists have sympathised with Trump in our own time, officially on "white nationalism/separatism can boost us" grounds but, I am sure, really because they sympathise with the antisemitism...
  5. R

Political and cultural figures who could've had lives/careers in different countries

I know I said this before, but what about the current Earl of Shaftesbury (descendant of &c &c &c) as a major US-based figure in international dance music - a globally recognised superstar DJ with his name on mainstream pop hits - had his father not been killed by his (Swedish, which may be...
  6. R

Sort of the inverse of this: if David Attenborough had died in 1990, we'd be wondering if there'd still have been a place for him within deregulated, multi-platform broadcasting.
  7. R

I think the Christopher Lasch comparison re. a surviving Orwell is a good one. With his rather romantic cultural conservatism (as discussed - the love of the imperial system, antipathy towards "foreign food" &c) I would go with David Stubbs' supposition on Facebook some years ago: that rock...
  8. R

Queen Margaret?

Of course, Margaret would only have had to be a boy and said phantom male would have overtaken Elizabeth in the line of succession and become King as a very young man indeed. But that *really* is a step into the unknown.
  9. R

The early 90s "classical as pop" boom ... and John Smith

Here's a thought. The last few years before Tony Blair became Labour leader - and, therefore, the Elgarisation of Rock began - saw, if anything, the opposite: the mass market appeal of classical music to a greater extent than at any time since the levelling effects of the Second World War and...
  10. R

WI Labour lost Batley & Spen as predicted?

I know we shouldn't really be talking about things that happened only last year, but *still* ... Had Labour lost the summer 2021 Batley & Spen by-election - as they were widely expected to do, were very close to doing, and probably would have done had the Tories run a stronger campaign and not...
  11. R

Ramifications of and lead-up to 1997 Conservative victory following 1992 win

You do get Blairites who say the Tories might have won had John Smith lived or even if Gordon Brown had replaced him. I have never, ever believed any of them for one second, but it's amazing how strong that idea remains in certain circles.
  12. R

More Social Formality

SpanishSpy's post made me think of that entry from Stuff White People Like, "Black Music Black People Don't Listen To Anymore" (though that also extended it to a white middle-class fetishisation of 1980s/early 1990s hip-hop of which I myself was once guilty). Also of the way a lot of Right-wing...
  13. R

No War Outbreak in 1914: Impact on UK Domestically

Utterly trivial compared to the other stuff, much as I wish we had a better and more integrated railway system today, but re. AndyF's post - all the problems with two electrification systems could have been prevented had the merged Southern Railway gone with the LBSCR's overhead system over the...
  14. R

Could Michael Heseltine have saved the Mersey for the Tories?

Heseltine's verdict being buried because it was too One Nation / "aristocratic social conscience" for Thatcher's liking is redolent of the interim Taylor report on Hillsborough being buried because it so unequivocally blamed the police - Douglas Hurd wanted her to support it but she wouldn't...
  15. R

Could Michael Heseltine have saved the Mersey for the Tories?

One thing that strikes me about the disappearance of the Tories in Liverpool is that you can define the change from post-war One Nation politics to 1980s Two Nations politics in terms of the two biggest bands of the 1960s. When those two bands were growing up, there were multiple Conservative...
Back