• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by Nomad

1. N

AHC: Have Labour and the Liberals be the two major parties of Britain Politics?

I think this is achievable in a TL where the Falklands War is lost, or you somehow get an election called at the Alliance's peak before then. The Tories were a lot more vulnerable to a strong Alliance performance than Labour, and you could well end up with them in third place in terms of seats...
  2. N

AHC: A Corbyn majority

There is even less of a chance of a cross party deal in this situation. Labour's main interest in striking one was in neutralising a politically awkward issue. Unlike them, the Tories actually have a viable path to power by committing strongly to one side, and it just so happened to be the one...
  3. N

AHC: A Corbyn majority

I don't think that on its own results in 60 odd seats flipping from Tory to Labour. But there are dozens of SNP seats that Labour weren't too far off from taking back in 2017. So I think the solution is to screw over both the Tories and the SNP by having Grenfell and the Salmond revelations...
  4. N

London Mayoral PODs

A somewhat obvious PoD, but Livingstone winning in 2012 could have some very interesting implications if he put himself forward again four years later-the reason being that three candidates for the Labour selection in 2016 nominated Corbyn as a way to curry favour with the membership-which...
  5. N

Alternate Wikibox Thread

Hell Yes, We Can, Pt. 4 A referendum took place on Thursday 19 September 2019 on Scottish independence from the United Kingdom. The referendum question was, "Should Scotland be an independent country?", which voters answered with "Yes" or "No". The "No" side won with 2,035,259 (60.5%) voting...
  6. N

A More Successful SDP/Alliance?

But in OTL, the Tories still faced those problems, and were re-elected fairly comfortably, as were the vast majority of incumbents in the west at this time. So what is it about the Alliance that means they would be unable to do something similar? But it's not obvious how losing the Falklands...
  7. N

A More Successful SDP/Alliance?

Losing the Falklands could do it, but that has been done a lot. The other change that could lead to exponential Alliance success would be to give Thatcher a far smaller victory than she got in 1979, which enables her to govern, but also makes her vulnerable to the loss of a dozen or so MPs. If...
  8. N

Alternate Wikibox Thread

Hell Yes, We Can Pt.3 The 2015 Conservative Party leadership election occurred as a result of former Prime Minister David Cameron's resignation as leader following the ousting of the party from government at the 2015 General Election. Although Cameron had initially indicated his desire to...
  9. N

Alternate Wikibox Thread

Ah yes, should have remembered to account for that. If I were doing it again, I'd allocate one more seat to SLab or one of the other unionist parties.
  10. N

Alternate Wikibox Thread

Hell Yes, We Can Pt.2 The 2015 United Kingdom general election was held on Thursday, 7 May 2015 to elect 650 members to the House of Commons. It was the first general election to be held at the end of a fixed-term Parliament. Local elections took place in most areas on the same day. It saw...
  11. N

Alternate Wikibox Thread

Cross-posted from the other place, albeit with a different title. The PoD is that Iain Gray avoids the sandwich shop incident, and is not quite as much of a liability to SLab in 2011. Hell Yes, We Can Pt. 1 The 2011 Scottish Parliament election was held on Thursday, 5 May 2011 to elect 129...
  12. N

Yes! Wins the Scottish Independence Referendum in 2014?

A good point that I hadn't previously considered. I wonder what the structure of negotiations over the immediate post-independence EU-Scotland economic relationship would be. The UK's trade policy is effectively governed by the EU at this point, so it seems likely that Holyrood would be...
  13. N

I disagree. Cameron had already pledged a referendum by this point, and he had not done so out of the kindness of his own heart, but because of the twin threats that Tory voters would flood to UKIP, and the huge clamour for it among his backbenchers. 'Deal with Scotland first' sentiment might...
  14. N

Perhaps, but you would also lose one of the major remain strongholds, so I doubt that would be enough. What might swing things is having an identifiable example of just how much time and effort the process of separation will take, and how it will limit the government's ability to focus on...
  15. N

Liberal Party collapses in the 50s

To expand further on the MacMillan's New Democratic Party scenario, although absorbing the Liberal right would not make it more left wing, I could still see a handful of Tories who take issue with the revamp opting out to create their own successor party. It's possible we get the continuity...