• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by MAC161

1. M

20 July Plot Succeeds in Killing Hitler

Very true; that was perhaps the most glaring issue with it for me, apart from the semi-fawning way the authors portrayed Rommel and Patton.
  2. M

20 July Plot Succeeds in Killing Hitler

This duology (pretty much a wargame in novel form, as I see it) deals with one version of such a POD; Rommel is still wounded, but events go in a very different direction for the "Desert Fox" following a (somewhat) more successful July 20 plot.
  3. M

Alternate History General Discussion

I've been wondering about this book for a while (more so after I heard about the movie adaptation) and was curious if anyone had recommendations for or against.
  4. M

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

Timeline of U.S. Presidential Elections Between "Dixie Curtain" & "Dixie Curtain Sequel" 1964: Republican (i.e. liberal) Joe Kennedy, Jr. & Harold Stassen (Winner) vs. Democrat (i.e. conservative) Gov. Richard Nixon & Sen. Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr. [1] 1968: Harold Stassen & Edmund Muskie...
  5. M

No or Different Chernobyl?

I'm not certain how much AH is out there revolving around major industrial and/or ecological events, but this one came to mind after rereading an overview of Gorbachev's premiership, which described Chernobyl as his first major crisis. If the accident had not happened, for any one of a number...
  6. M

🤦‍♂️ Should've remembered this, LOL
  7. M

Re-reading the (only slightly AH) essay in What If? about the Kokoda Trail campaign, I was reminded of this work, and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for or against it, as well as on any other works dealing with Australia/Oceania in WWII or in general.
  8. M

'The Man with the Iron Heart' review

Although it doesn't have the "Iron Heart" element to it (or it might, just off-page/screen), this book depicts a Morgenthau Plan Germany fairly well, IMO, with plenty of the other aspects you mention.
  9. M

Yeah, I submitted to Asimov's once, and no luck. Of course, it was an earlier, REALLY crappy version of Red Delta, so this was for the best, in the end. Of these three, which have been the most open to short AH in your experience? And are there other such outfits that might accept it under the...
  10. M

Just out of curiosity: Apart from (obviously) the good folks of SLP, which publishing outfits are generally (whether according to their record or other factors) more receptive than others to AH fiction? Tying into this, what are some of the better short story publication options out there for AH...
  11. M

'The Man with the Iron Heart' review

A very good review all around, esp. regarding parallelism as already mentioned. Doesn't change my overall "ehh" attitude towards it, as shown here in a review I wrote a long time ago (most of all the fates it doles out for certain German scientists whom Paperclip would've definitely grabbed in...
  12. M

I saw this on Uchronia as well, but it didn't seem to deal with the specific Lennon/Chapman POD. Or am I mistaken?
  13. M

Just a random, recent pondering: How much and what sort of AH is there about John Lennon surviving Mark David Chapman, and what might happen to him, the Beatles and the world afterwards? Per Uchronia.net, I'm familiar with a number of other Beatles-centered stories, and there's one fictional...
  14. M

AH Challenge: Put a professional con artist in high office

Yemelyan Pugachev, who claimed to be Catherine the Great's dead husband, Emperor Peter III? Not sure if this was a con so much as an attempt to give some form of legitimacy to Pugachev's leading the Cossacks in rebellion against Catherine's and Tsarist policies in general regarding serfdom...
  15. M

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

Updated version, after suggestions and more musing: Timeline of U.S. Presidents in "Divided Worlds: An Alternate Space Race" Franklin D. Roosevelt (D): 1933-1945 Harry S. Truman (D): 1945-1949 Harold E. Stassen (R): 1949-1953 [1] Estes Kefauver (D): 1953-1961 [2] Richard M. Nixon (R)...