• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by kratostatic

1. K

Alternate History General Discussion

There are two obvious scenarios where this kind of thing could happen. The first is the "Jacobins" winning outright and becoming the main established party in a democratic state. Over time these Jacobins become outright centre-leaning and/or the overton window shifts leftwards. The second...
  2. K

Hang on, I missed that bit! Isn't this literally Futurama's explanation?
  3. K

SLP 'Telephone' Maps and Graphics Game 4

I'm in as well!
  4. K

I've got the impression that Utopia's are unpopular in AH in general - online and published - I think part of it is "lack of conflict makes for a bad story", but that's not all of it. Utopian storys have two other problems. The first is common to Utopian sci-fi as well - that what you...
  5. K

Just occasionally you can do a bit more with them. The obvious example is creative use of red links. And one of the more interesting ones I saw was of a "vandalised" wikibox; I can't remember the exact context but it was some sort of insurrection/rebellion/crushed protest and the vandals had...
  6. K

Sea Lion Press itself, as I understand it, was always an attempt to move towards the "narrative" and away from the "lists and wikiboxes" style of AH. Arguably it hasn't yet succeeded to the extent perhaps hoped initially but as a community we're a lot more focused on "the story" now than...
  7. K

The SLP Flag Thread

It should also be pointed out that "in universe" this collection of flags would have been compiled by people for who this flag evokes the same kind of emotional effect that a Swastika does for us, so arguably that's the emotional reaction you're going for.
  8. K

Alternate Tastes of London - Andrew Brooks and Ekaterina Odnostorntseva Might be worth resurrecting the collaborative lists thread for that one; I'd need to think of some ideas there but I'd like to chuck something in.
  9. K

AHC: Keep the London Underground as the largest RTS in the world

Such blatant Transilien and Tram erasure smh. FWIW the London underground is arguably closer to the RER in scope though not in train size; the stations are every 1600m on average (700m for tree Paris metro and I believe 2km for the RER though I can't find the actual stat right now), and of...
  10. K

Prequel Problems: Anne McCaffrey’s Dragonriders of Pern

I've read most of the series multiple times (starting with Dragonsdawn because that's the one my parents had, something of a recurring theme with me and prequels), and they were some of my favourite books as a teenager. But I've never gotten around to the Harper trilogy, and honestly I don't...
  11. K

Cartographicum Thandeum

Serbo-Croation springs to mind for the wars. Do the colours mean anything in particular or are they just arbitrary? I thought they were vaguely to do with language groups but then the Celtic languages are the same colour as the Germanics.
  12. K

But there's not even much "the other side still loses but it takes longer". Make it even more "darkest before the dawn" than OTL was isn't marketable? Festung Europa I guess falls under that, forgot about that one.
  13. K

Oddly enough I don't think I know many World War 2 AH's (as in PoD between 1937-ish and 1945) that aren't "Nazis win", particularly not long form stuff. The only ones I can remember really reading is a Lord Halifax one that didn't get very far, and that Stalin SI; I know there's also the...
  14. K

I feel it would be most remiss of me, given where we are, not to mention "Admiral's Army" which is honestly a kind of inspired way to do it -take a songwriter who historically wrote political songs and then change the politics.
  15. K

There's actually a Stephen Baxter short story - "The Twelveth Album" which discusses an additional Beatles album that comes out in 1971. The big advantage in that specific case is that all the Beatles actually wrote songs so all Baxter needs to do is discuss how they would have played these...