• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by JosephK

1. J

Least favorite alt-history story?

It's not quite a whole country, but Eric Flint's 1632 involves a whole town being transported in time.
  2. J

Least favorite alt-history story?

Spoiled the ending for myself by coming here to ask the question, but I have only me to blame . . . In any event, it seemed to me that the characters were very aware of Nazi concentration camps earlier than they were in OTL. Was it really the case that Americans in early 1942 were well-informed...
  3. J

WI: Articles of Confederation is retained

Darn. I wish I had found this article 5 years ago when I was researching for my AH about the Articles being retained!
  4. J

Independent American monarchy

Hamilton definitely seems like he would be a leading candidate in the absence of a direct Washington heir. I think his proposal at the 1787 convention gets played up a bit too much (often to the point of trying to portray him as a full-on monarchist).
  5. J

That's a fair point. It's certainly a plausible scenario. I think the distinction that complicates things in a "King George of House Washington situation" (at least in my mind) is that if the royal line begins with him, traveling back up and over and down the different branches of the Washington...
  6. J

Good, because that's exactly the system that I've been planning my story around! 😁
  7. J

Possibly something like that, yes, or maybe something similar to the Belgian Constitution of 1831: "In case of failure of male heirs from His Royal Highness Leopold of Saxe-Coburg, he shall be allowed to name his successor, with the assent of the two houses, expressed in the manner prescribed by...
  8. J

Interestingly you run into a very similar issue if you posit George Washington as king, since he had no children and died in 1799. His nephew Bushrod Washington and Martha's grandson George Washington Parke Custis inherited the bulk of Washington's property, but that seems like a pretty flimsy...
  9. J

The list of alternate histories at uchronia includes one called King Julian: A Novel, by Tom Gatch, Jr., but has only a very general description about George Washington becoming king. Does anyone know anything else about that book by chance?
  10. J

I wasn't aware that there was discussion of Charles, but that's interesting. This article talks about one of the scenarios that got me thinking about trying a story along the lines of the OP: https://allthingsliberty.com/2019/09/a-french-king-of-america/
  11. J

It guess it speaks to the lay of the land that Assassins Creed came up here as well as when I asked in a Facebook group! Definitely agree with you on the scope of the topic. Just coming up with an at-least-mostly-plausible POD scenario that gets me there is quite a task to begin with, but I...
  12. J

Can anyone point me to alternate histories (novels, shorts stories, or anything) where the American colonies gain their independence, but end up with a monarchy (constitutional or otherwise) rather than a republic? I have an idea for such a story (probably novel-length), but I also want to make...
  13. J

What Are Some Interesting PODs For The French Revolution?

Very true. And it makes even more sense when you consider that it was a couple decades after his imprisonment before he dipped his toe back into the political waters. This also adds more fuel to the fire for an alternate history story idea I've been kicking around. :D
  14. J

What Are Some Interesting PODs For The French Revolution?

A few people have already mentioned Lafayette, but do you think his making a successful escape from prison in 1794 would have had a significant impact on events in France? I have Lafayette on the brain since I recently finished listening to a biography of him. My inclination is to say that if he...
  15. J

AHC: Make a city in the Deep South larger than NYC with a POD after the Louisiana Purchase

Native of NW Florida here and it is most definitely part of the Deep South. I often joke that I am from "Lower Alabama" because I think that actually gives people who don't know much about Florida a better idea of what that part of the state is like culturally.
Back