• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by Indicus

1. Indicus

PM's Election Maps And Stuff Thread

I wouldn’t be surprised if you have a scenario here where Britain is extra reluctant about giving it responsible government (which the Kingdom of Ireland historically did not have) and so becoming a Dominion ends up a shorthand for getting responsible government (and thus more autonomy).
  2. Indicus

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

Governors of Nova Scotia 1811-1816: Sir John Coape Sherbrooke 1816-1820: Earl of Dalhousie 1820-1836: Sir James Kempt 1827: Popular Revolution; Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island declare loyalty to the Guelphs 1832: Cape Breton Island secedes, becomes a colony under the...
  3. Indicus

Alternate History General Discussion

Not that I’m aware of and as far as I know I came up with it, but I very well could have gotten it from somewhere and forgotten the source. As you say it struck me as a very natural turn of phrase for something that is an important part of AH.
  4. Indicus

Indicus's maps, wikiboxes, &c thread
    Threadmarks: Revolutionary Britain: Feargus O'Connor

Thanks to @Time Enough for reminding me of this guy's existence. Feargus O'Connor came from a fairly illustrious parentage. His father Roger, and uncle Arthur, were Anglo-Irish gentry; despite this, they were radical reformers and members of the Society of United Irishmen, which sought the...
  5. Indicus

The Spanish Empire without the Peninsular War

I doubt that - Miranda wouldn’t have anywhere near enough support without the Peninsular War tearing royal legitimacy apart. In its absence his conspiracies would have remained conspiracies, and there would not be enough support for them to turn into revolution. I can’t really see much more than...
  6. Indicus

Book Nook: For Want of a Nail

It struck me when reading it that For Want of a Nail really is the first AH timeline, complete with a focus on election tables (while large amounts of violence gets skimmed over). It’s also racist at times, which is pretty normal for a book written in 1973 but that’s a foible of a lot of AH...
  7. Indicus

AH Run-downs, summaries and general gubbins

Burke and Fox is a 2008 musical about the lives of eighteenth-century British politicians Edmund Burke and Charles James Fox, their friendship, and their eventual enmity and downfall, and through it, it seeks to show the rise of modern British politics. It covers their lives before meeting...
  8. Indicus

Alternate Wikibox Thread

Last time this question has come up I answered with this, I think it’s essentially right: I’ve heard the Wikipedia policy against making wikiboxes is ill-enforced, so you can try your luck. Additionally, if you want to edit wikiboxes in a quick and simple way, do inspect element then take...
  9. Indicus

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

The US Constitution specifically represents a republicanized version of a Tory take on the British constitution, due to the American suspicion of Parliament taxing them without their consent - even at the time the House of Commons was clearly the strongest element in the British constitution...
  10. Indicus

The Spanish Empire without the Peninsular War

This is a very interesting WI with a wide cone of plausibility, I think. The effects of the Peninsular War on the Spanish Empire can't be underestimated with the mass formation of juntas and collapse of "legitimate" authority and all, and before that point most discontent against the Spanish...
  11. Indicus

Things that look like alternate history but aren't

In general Ireland’s constitution strikes me very much as being the reforms the British Liberals wanted a century ago. Not just the Senate which is essentially a Lords reform proposal, but also the lower house elected by STV. I suppose it makes sense considering the old linkages between British...
  12. Indicus

Alternate History General Discussion

There were some Soviet experiments with ternary computers, not binary - that is, base 3 instead of base 2 - I think that might be what you’re thinking of. That said, their experiments with them came to an end in the 1970s, and they had very little to do with Soviet experiments with networking.
  13. Indicus

The 80s Apple aesthetic is a lot more intentional on my part - on post 192 here on this thread I did try to replicate that, with partial success. Something I’ve been trying to do is use that aesthetic to make my personal site, using React, and I suppose both these things are tangents from that...
  14. Indicus

Threadmarks: Republic of New Holland

I realize my alternate wikibox aesthetic has ended up looking like an Ipod.
  15. Indicus

AH Run-downs, summaries and general gubbins

National Holidays in the United States Name Date Notes New Years' Day January 1 Washington's Birthday February 22 Martyrs' Day March 5 Commemorates the Boston Massacre (1770) and in particular the martyrdom of Crispus Attucks, today a Colored-American icon Labor Day April 14...
Back