• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by Francisco Cojuanco

1. F

Pop culture and the butterfly effect

No or significantly different Japanese Lost Decade may have impacts on much of the era's anime (fewer characters described as being part-time, for example)
  2. F

A Communist, non-hermit, North Korea

That might be a bit difficult since much of modern Korean politics was centered around the national question (naturally due to being made a Japanese colony).
  3. F

Meppo's Electoral Molehill

Which Peoria, the one in Arizona or the one in Illinois?
  4. F

Africa During the Scramble: The Worst Mistake in Human History

Depending on how you characterize the Thirty Years' War, the early Anabaptists might count.
  5. F

Election maps and assorted others

I would use Tagapagsalita for Speaker, though Ispiker also works if less formal. I will note that government during this era mostly operated predominantly in English anyway, as did most of the press so most people would have just used Speaker even if it was linguistically incorrect.
  6. F

Election maps and assorted others

That and I think he was counting on said nationalists endorsing a sort of corporatist, authoritarian Standestaat type thing (though not entirely - Marcos didn't trust the Church) like eventually happened after Martial Law denuded the opposition influence on constitutional reform. There was an is...
  7. F

Alternate Supreme Courts Thread

Everyone of course likes to talk about the Abortion Cases, but I wonder - what would happen if the Court ruled the other way on Mapp v. Ohio in 1961 and declined to incorporate the Exclisionary Rule for illegally obtained evidence in state court? IIRC the pre-Mapp policy was that while...
  8. F

Also possibly immigration cases, from some of the internal blowback she's gotten
  9. F

Meppo's Electoral Molehill

Gallego is a bastard, but come on, how do they propose to kidnap him and not end up getting shot at by half the neighborhood?
  10. F

Kingdom of the Philippines

Exactly, it's implausible that the Philippines would be both independent and have a European dynast. Closest you could get is a native monarchy, but that would be unworkable IMO.
  11. F

Kingdom of the Philippines

The issue is the illustrados, the gentry (and descendants of the pre-Hispanic nobility). By this time they had in large part gone republican. The US managed to secure their cooperation, but of course the US is a republic. A monarch of the Philippines would probably be drawn from the native gentry.
  12. F

Right. I mean Congress could regulate it as interstate commerce in theory, but it's unlikely that anything too overarching could pass.
  13. F

More like the ATL Kennedy IMO.
  14. F

I'm by no means saying that overturning Roe would kill the issue though. Though I highly suspect that the Court would probably rule in favor of a right to travel (barring some circumstance like minors). Also keep in mind that the Court may very well be reluctant to interfere with state ability...
  15. F

An interesting POD would not change the composition of the Court, but centers on a Justice swinging the other way. I'm thinking of Kennedy allegedly being initially inclined of siding with Scalia in the Casey decision. That would essentially have caused shockwaves in American political life...