• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by DaleCoz

1. D

ISOT A Modern Mississippi Riverboat

As promised, some preliminary picks: 1974: There are a lot of cell phones and tablets on that boat and probably a few laptops. How does putting that future in the hands of 1970s people change the computing industry and thus the future? 1968: How does knowledge of the future affect the Vietnam...
  2. D

ISOT A Modern Mississippi Riverboat

My wife and I went on a Mississippi riverboat cruise earlier this summer. The riverboat, the Twilight, can carry up to 130 passengers, actually a few more in a pinch, but they like a maximum of 130. Ours was the first tour of the season and had around 70 passengers. Apparently, the boat usually...
  3. D

Aboriginal Taiwan

If Taiwan hadn't become a refuge for Ming dynasty remnants, it would probably have remained part of the Dutch empire, without a lot of Han colonization, though there would undoubtedly be some seepage.
  4. D

Tuesday Alternate History # 44: AH Challenge: Neanderthals Win, We Lose

For the last year or two I've been posting mostly weekly Alternate History scenarios on my blog. The latest one, number 44, has the Neanderthals winning their competition with our ancestors and eventually swamping them genetically. How? Until fairly late in the game, Neanderthals could...
  5. D

Earth Swap: The Stone Library Of Venus

A couple of days ago, I finally published my 13th novel on Amazon. It's sort of cross between a very big ISOT and Alternate History. All of modern day Earth finds itself in a different solar system, one where humans got to space tens of thousands of years ago, following in the footsteps of a...
  6. D

What if Hitler had gone for Moscow? (Part 1)

This is a decades-old scenario, and there are several parts that I don't, all these years later, consider remotely feasible. Among them: (1) the u-boat bit that someone mentioned further up, (2) An allied summer offensive in Burma in 1942 (wrong time of the year--monsoons made traveling, much...
  7. D

What If Poland Stopped the Blitz? Part 1

One additional possible strategy: The Poles might have been better off leaving forces in Polish cities that the Germans were going to isolate, rather than trying to get them out. The German offensive moved too fast for the Poles to get their people out with heavy weapons and enough organization...
  8. D

What If Turkey Had Entered World War II?

I had to go back and reread this to remember what I said. I just finished doing that. This was one of my earlier World War II alternatives and it shows. Let's just say my understanding of logistics has improved a bit in the decades since I wrote this. That being said, the idea of a divided and...
  9. D

If not Leopold, who'd have the Congo?

I wonder how much discovering the Kimberley diamond mines and South African gold mines fueled the rush for Africa. Enormous previously unknown riches on the frontier had to hint that there might be a lot more hidden in the interior. To some extent, the powers grabbing African territory were...
  10. D

The Old World's Interrupted Trajectory

6) Any innovation that requires rubber is simply not possible, though there are Old World materials that do some of the same things. If this Old World somehow gets to the verge of an Industrial Revolution, the lack of rubber makes a lot of things more difficult and expensive and pushes...
  11. D

2) The Catholic Church is both more wealthy relative to the rest of society and less wealthy in absolute terms than it would have been had there been a New World to be found. Fewer or less grand Cathedrals, probably more real power. To a certain extent, more money in an economy pulls people out...
  12. D

I've recently started a "Tuesday Evening Alternate History" column on my blog. This is a pale shadow of the Alternate History Newsletters I did for a little over a decade ending in 2011, but hopefully they're worth reading. This is the latest column. Several years ago, I did a long, detailed...
  13. D

Second book of the New Galveston Series is Now Available

The Kindle version of my alternate history novel New Galveston Book Two: The Wild East is now available. The Amazon link is: https://www.amazon.com/New-Galveston-Wild-Dale-Cozort-ebook/dp/B094YVL9KY/ What is it about? In February 1939, just before World War II, the US Navy returned from a...
  14. D

Space Bats & Butterflies - Book One

By the way, the second book in the series is out now. It is at https://www.amazon.com/Best-Space-Bats-Butterflies-Book-ebook/dp/B08LDQBNY6/ This finishes the Moscow Option 1942 scenario. It actually grew to book-length, somewhat over sixty thousand words and I toyed with the idea of making it a...
  15. D

Space Bats & Butterflies - Book One

I recently published the Kindle version of a compilation of the best AH scenarios and stories from my AH Zine "Dale Cozort's Alternate History Newsletter", which I recently renamed "Space Bats & Butterflies." From the blurb: Seventeen of the best alternate history or time-travel stories, book...
Back