• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Recent content by Conster

1. C

WI: Lin Biao makes it to the Soviet Union?

Oh I must've misremembered then
  2. C

Chinese "farming literature": women who go back in time for simpler lives

Funnily this reminds me of the average South Korean drama. I have (unfortunately) been subjected to some of these through the repost pipeline of TikTok Douyin-Facebook-Instagram, though I think the ones I saw didn't only have farming as an option for their time-travelling protagonists. I recall...
  3. C

I read your TL on the other place! I don't think I spotted that though lol. So I guess you think Lin would just be assigned a dingy flat in Moscow and paraded around for propaganda purposes, a la Kim Philby?
  4. C

In the early hours of 13 September 1971, a plane carrying Lin Biao, along with his wife and son, took off from an airport just outside Beijing. The plane headed northwest, seemingly headed for the Soviet Union (sources differ but it seems they were making a beeline for either Irkutsk or Chita)...
  5. C

Alternate Wikibox Thread

Xianggang International Airport (IATA: HKG, ICAO: VHHH), known as Hong Kong International Airport before 1967 and locally as Kai Tak or Qide, was an international airport in Xianggang, China. Due to its unique geographic location surrounded by Dongfang Bay on three sides, apartment blocks in...
  6. C

If those who had died in "their time" had lived longer (if Oscar Wilde had seen WWI and other ideas)

A slew of pop culture figures come to mind: John Lennon, Kurt Cobain, Selena, Aaliyah, Amy Winehouse, Juice Wrld...
  7. C

WI: Taiwan had nukes?

I think this depends on who is in power in China/Taiwan/the US. Coiler is absolutely correct that the PRC has a massive advantage over Taiwan per se, and Taiwan knows this; unless they felt confident that the US would back them to the hilt even with the possibility of expanded nuclear war...
  8. C

Singapore stays in Malaysia

Very difficult without early PODs that make Singapore less populous/Chinese-dominant, or that Malay nationalism isn't as much of a driving force (no Japanese occupation?). Maybe something like "Communists take over Singapore and Malaya invades it" but that's kinda cheating. It is also worth...
  9. C

WI: Taiwan had nukes?

Starting from the mid-1960s when China successfully tested their first nuclear weapon, Taiwan had a covert nuclear weapons programme. This book goes into much more detail about this programme, but the gist is that by the mid-1970s Taiwan had successfully purchased uranium from Canada and South...
  10. C

Alternate Wikibox Thread

Wikibox or riot
  11. C

Scenes We'd Like To See: Alternate Movies, Television & Other Pop Culture Miscellanea

Can't believe I just found this thread. Anyway, one TL I've been trying to get off the ground is US pop culture in a world where Covid doesn't happen-- off the top of my head: TikTok is less ubiquitous, which means certain artists don't make it big (perhaps most noticeably Olivia Rodrigo)...
  12. C

Appropriate names for emperors in a 'Meiji China' scenario?

I actually think Zeng Guofan makes sense: assuming the Taiping sacks Beijing and the Manchus escape to Mukden or similar, only Zeng's Xiang army would be around to fight the Taiping in the South. If not Zeng himself, e.g. he beats the Taiping and decides to invite the Manchus back out of...
  13. C

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puyi 's OTL era name
  14. C

Hmm, Fanji sounds a bit on the nose, Tiexin is a direct calque of "iron faith" and Xinxue looks like it means "amateur" instead. Also 万 is in simplified Chinese while the rest is in traditional-- was this deliberate? I'm not very creative at making up names unfortunately, but perhaps you could...
  15. C

Are these era names (i.e. Qianlong, Kangxi) or given names? Either way I don't think all of these names containing the same charcter "huo" is very common for Chinese naming conventions. Also 盛火 would be Shenghuo.
Back