• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Doctor Who Unbound: Auld Mortality

The start of a new series of reviews?

Always felt Auld Mortality was hindered by being the most atypical (well, second most atypical after Deadline) Doctor Who story in the Unbound range; and I had never read Lungbarrow when I first listened to it so something might have been lost. Preferred A Storm of Angels of the two Bayldon stories.

An incidental matter, but always feel Bayldon is always my first thought of ATL Doctors, and often wonder how the series might have gone with a far younger actor in the role of the First Doctor. At the same time, one that could hit many of the same notes as Hartnell.

The start of a new series of reviews?

Always felt Auld Mortality was hindered by being the most atypical (well, second most atypical after Deadline) Doctor Who story in the Unbound range; and I had never read Lungbarrow when I first listened to it so something might have been lost. Preferred A Storm of Angels of the two Bayldon stories.

An incidental matter, but always feel Bayldon is always my first thought of ATL Doctors, and often wonder how the series might have gone with a far younger actor in the role of the First Doctor. At the same time, one that could hit many of the same notes as Hartnell.

Good stuff but I too am thinking "oh man, this could be a series and we get to talk a lot about Sympathy and Deadline :) :) :)"

I think I can make both your days by saying that, our editor permitting, I fully intend to revisit the entire Unbound run over the next few months. Everything through Masters of War, including (Lord help me) Exile. And it's a good excuse to revisit the whole run and Sympathy in particular again.

I sort of see where your coming from @RyanF about how atypical Auld Mortality is. Though I think Platt gets around that a bit by essentially mashing together the two very different set of Hartnell era tropes (the historicals and the SF tales) the way he does in this one. That said, I'm inclined to agree that Storm of Angels is the more successful of the two but more on that in a few months time, I'm think. (Clutches lapels and does his best Hartnell "Hmm?")

Back