• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Unit 731

I once saw a film called Men Behind The Sun, about Unit 731 and to this day I wish I hadn't.
Oh man, Men Behind The Sun is an absolutely infamous exploitation horror film. The director of that later went on to make a pseudo-sequel to it, Black Sun: The Nanking Massacre, which (obviously) focuses on the Nanking Massacre. I haven't seen either one, but I've been tempted to watch the latter, given that it's available on Amazon Video with a Fandor subscription.

Oh man, Men Behind The Sun is an absolutely infamous exploitation horror film.

Men Behind The Sun is in my top three of films to NOT watch, along with Salo: or 120 Days of Sodom (I've only seen bits of it, and read a book about it, that was ENOUGH) & Cannibal Ferox (just no)

Last edited:
Men Behind The Sun is in the top three of film to NOT watch, along with Salo: or 120 Days of Sodom (I've only seen bits of it, and read a book about it, that was ENOUGH) & Cannibal Ferox (just no)
The thing about Saló (which is absolutely a film I want to see one day), is that while Men Behind The Sun and Cannibal Ferox are both pure exploitation films, Saló possesses legitimate artistic merit and themes despite the extremely graphic nature of the film.

I think Bubonic plague at least is still a going concern in California today so is unlikely to have been that effective. And nine planes don't see to be that likely to carry a meaningful payload to spread the disease enough to be a serious issues for long.

I think Bubonic plague at least is still a going concern in California today so is unlikely to have been that effective. And nine planes don't see to be that likely to carry a meaningful payload to spread the disease enough to be a serious issues for long.

I recall reading in one of Nick Redfern's books last summer that there's circumstantial evidence to believe that bubonic plague carrying balloons were responsible for a small outbreak of bubonic plague in New Mexico in the late 1940s. That included the death of a young boy, from what I recall. The FBI and New Mexico Public Health Department took the possibility seriously, though nothing was ever proven, and there's an argument made that the only reason things weren't worse is that it didn't come down somewhere more populated.

I recall reading in one of Nick Redfern's books last summer that there's circumstantial evidence to believe that bubonic plague carrying balloons were responsible for a small outbreak of bubonic plague in New Mexico in the late 1940s. That included the death of a young boy, from what I recall. The FBI and New Mexico Public Health Department took the possibility seriously, though nothing was ever proven, and there's an argument made that the only reason things weren't worse is that it didn't come down somewhere more populated.

That's the first I've heard of this. None of the sources I've seen suggest that bacterial agents were ever loaded onto balloons, but the Japanese weren't very reliable record-keepers (considering they destroyed so many - and failed to destroy many others - after the war), so I am willing to concede the possibility this could've been the case.

"And then the Allies let most of Unit 731 off so it could use their data in the Cold War" is the grimmest damn ending for this.
I suspect that there would have been a very different ending had the Saipan transport not been sunk. In fact, such an attack could have considerably changed the way post war Japan was treated. Harder to brush these horrors under the carpet when they've also been directed at "Our Boys".

Back