• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Lists of Heads of Government and Heads of State

I'm the many many Suriviving SDP lists I don't think I've seen Danny Finkelstein as leader. Jist reading how he was a close ally of Owen and opposed the merger . Before then moving to the Tories
A lot the Continuity SDP lot fucked off to the Tories, I do often find the constant appearance of Rosie Barnes odd though, like from all accounts she was pretty useless and highly reliant on John Cartwright’s support.

I always like Mike Thomas or John Cartwright myself with eventual appearances from Gisela Stuart or David Mundrell.

A lot the Continuity SDP lot fucked off to the Tories, I do often find the constant appearance of Rosie Barnes odd though, like from all accounts she was pretty useless and highly reliant on John Cartwright’s support.

I always like Mike Thomas or John Cartwright myself with eventual appearances from Gisela Stuart or David Mundrell.

Maybe in my Alliance win in 84 list Finkelstein still ends up a peer (or Senator) but only after serving as an SDP MP from 1990-2010 rather than fucking off to The Times then when the SDP collapse around 2010 he's either a crossbencher or ends up a Union peer (Lib Dem-one Nation Tory alliance monstrosity)

Presidents of the United States (propriety authority)
1961-1965: Richard Nixon/Henry Cabot Lodge

def John F. Kennedy/Lyndon Johnson
1965-1969: Hubert Humphrey/George Wallace

def. Richard Nixon/Henry Cabot Lodge
1969-1970: Edward Walker/Spiro Agnew

def. Hubert Humphrey/George Wallace, Robert Kennedy/various (faithless electors)
1971-19??: Spiro Agnew/vacant

Mayors of Chicago (recognised by the United States Federal Government)
1955-1970: Richard J. Daley

'55: def. Robert E. Merriam
'59: def. Timothy P. Sheehan
'63: def. Ben Adamowski
'67: def. John L. Waner, Dick Gregory (write-in)

1970: [vacant]
1970-19??: Frank Collin

- appointed by President Walker

Chairmen of the Council for Metropolitan Open Communities for the Free Chicago Autonomous Zone
1970-1972: Fred Hampton (United Front Against Fascism)
1972: William “Preacherman” Fesperman (UFAF)

- temporary Chairman after Hampton was elected to the National Cooperative Congress
1972-19??: Bobby Rush (UFAF)

- elected by standing ovation

Last edited:
Presidents of the United States (propriety authority)
1961-1965: Richard Nixon/Henry Cabot Lodge

def John F. Kennedy/Lyndon Johnson
1965-1969: Hubert Humphrey/Albert Gore

def. Richard Nixon/Henry Cabot Lodge
1969-1970: Edward Walker/Spiro Agnew

def. Hubert Humphrey/Albert Gore, Robert Kennedy/various (faithless electors)
1971-19??: Spiro Agnew/vacant

Mayors of Chicago (recognised by the United States Federal Government)
1955-1970: Richard J. Daley (Democratic)

'55: def. Robert E. Merriam
'59: def. Timothy P. Sheehan
'63: def. Ben Adamowski
'67: def. John L. Waner, Dick Gregory (write-in)

1970: [vacant]
1970-19??: Frank Collin (Independent)

- appointed by President Walker

Chairmen of the Council for Metropolitan Open Communities for the Free Chicago Autonomous Zone
1970-1972: Fred Hampton (United Front Against Fascism)
1972: William “Preacherman” Fesperman (UFAF)

- temporary Chairman after Hampton was elected to the National Cooperative Congress
1972-19??: Bobby Rush (UFAF)

- elected by standing ovation

Welp you can't leave us with this without telling us more!

Good ol' Fred.

1949-1967: Senator for Louisiana
defeated Clem Clarke
defeated Charles Gerth
- (unopposed in 1956)
defeated Taylor O'Hearn

1953-1967: Chairman of the Senate Committee on Finance
defeated Eugene Millikin
- died in office

Good list, but this final part really makes me raise an eyebrow. I can buy Huey Long being the Democratic nominee for President in 1948 despite running against FDR in 1936. Or well, at least I find that less difficult to buy than the notion of Huey Long being able to bypass the seniority rules and become chairman of the Finance Committee after only four years in the Senate. If anything, he would have been the most junior member of that committee at the time. I just cannot see either Walter F. George being willing to hand over the chairmanship to Long, nor Harry Byrd doing the same (both were staunch conservatives).

Monkeys; Or The Raise and Fall of John DeLorean and the Workers Party...

1981-1987: Ronald Reagan (Republican)
1980 (With George H.W.Bush) def: Jimmy Carter/Walter Mondale (Democratic), John Anderson/Patrick Lucey (Independent)
1984 (With George H.W.Bush) def: Walter Mondale/Geraldine Ferraro (Democratic)

1987-1988: George H.W.Bush (Republican)
1988-1989: Jim Wright (Democratic)
1989-1994: John DeLorean (Democratic)

1988 (With Martha Layne Collins) def: Peter DuPont/Dan Quayle (Republican), Ron Paul/Jeane Kirkpatrick (Independent), Russell Means/Dick Lamm (Libertarian)
1992 (With Martha Layne Collins) def: Dan Quayle/Ron Paul (Republican), Lowell Weicker/Dick Lamm (National Union)

1994-1997: Martha Layne Collins (Democratic)
1997-: Colin Powell (National Union)

1996 (With John Kerry) def: John Silber (Replacing Martha Layne Collins)/Dennis Kucinich (Replacing John Silber) (Democratic), Pat Buchanan/Jack Kemp (Republican), Jess Ventura/Dick Lamm (Libertarian), Ralph Nader/Winona LaDuke (Green)

—//—

1979-1984: Margaret Thatcher (Conservative)
1979 (Majority) def: James Callaghan (Labour), David Steel (Liberal), William Wolfe (SNP), Jim Molyneaux (UUP), John Hume (SDLP)
1983 (Majority) def: Michael Foot (Labour),
Roy Jenkins-David Steel (Liberal-SDP Alliance), Jim Molyneaux (UUP), John Hume (SDLP)
1984-1989: Cecil Parkinson (Conservative)
1987 (Coalition with *Social Democrats & UUP) def: Neil Kinnock (Labour), Robert Maclennan-David Steel (Liberal-SDP Alliance), David Owen (*Social Democrats), Jim Molyneaux (UUP), John Hume (SDLP), Seamus Lynch (Workers)
1989-1993: Neil Kinnock (Labour)
1989 (Majority) def: Patrick Jenkin replacing Cecil Parkinson (Conservative), Paddy Ashdown (Democrats), David Owen (Reform), Jim Molyneaux (UUP), Seamus Lynch (Workers)
1993-1997: Bryan Gould (Labour)
1993 (Majority) def: Jonathan Aitken (Conservative), Paddy Ashdown (Democrats), Jim Molyneaux (UUP), Seamus Lynch (Democratic Left)
1997-: Paddy Ashdown (Democrats)
1997 (Coalition with Greens, Alliance & Reform) def: Bryan Gould (Labour), Francis Maude Replacing Jonathan Aitken (Conservative), Gisela Stuart (Reform), Peg Alexander (Greens), Jim Molyneaux (UUP), Martin O'Hagan-May Blood (People’s Voice), John Alderdice (Alliance)

For the Latter Years of the 20th Century, the word on everyone’s lips was Corruption, from Cecil Parkinson’s love baby fiasco that brought down his Government to the absolute chaos of Iran-Contra which seems to have lead to the end of the Republicans being a viable political force. But the strangest and probably most far reaching corruption was probably the John DeLorean-Workers Party scandal which would rock the political scenes on both sides of the sea.

DeLorean would come into power in an America rocked by scandal, Iran-Contra would go down as bigger than Watergate with Reagan only missing out on jail time due to his dementia getting him before the Feds could. DeLorean to many represented a new chapter in American Politics, this White Haired Tycoon of the Car Industry proclaimed a new chapter in America politics with new innovative ideas that ‘borrowed’ from both Hart to Mondale to Jackson.

The first six years were pretty calm, DeLorean was charismatic, innovative and dynamic as his tenure would see a reaction to Right Wing Corruption around the globe. But as the Soviet Union collapsed and evidence of dealings were found, a small Irish Party would find itself helping to bring down the DeLorean Presidency.

The Workers Party had a strange 80s and Early 90s, traversing the line between respectable Anti-Establishment voice to gaggle of Old School Tankies/Gangsters with Books On Marx. Much of it’s survival had been helped by the near annihilation of the PIRA and Sinn Fein In The aftermath of the Brighton Bombings that would disable Thatcher and kill two cabinet ministers amongst others. In the vacuum left, Seamus Lynch to many presented a respectable voice of the Left, helped by his dynamic leadership towards securing the DeLorean factory deal with the various Unionist parties. What at first seemed to have been a little push towards gaining a car factory in Northern Ireland would turn out to be a giant protection racket as information emerged from the spasming remains of the Workers Party and the Former Soviet Union in 1992.

At first the only casualty would be Neil Kinnock, accused with collaborating with the Workers Party in the latter days of the Parkinson Government. Whilst it turn out that Kinnock’s connections to the WPNI were faint to say the least, Kinnock would still resign in the aftermath of his nervous breakdown in favour of his Chancellor, Bryan Gould. Gould after an election would ensure that an investigation was conducted and the truth about the WPNI was discovered.

DeLorean it turned out had eventually relied on the OIRA for Security and had even allowed the group to help in the operations of the Northern Irish aspects of the company. To make things even odder, DeLorean would have technically been committing treason, having accepted OIRA payments for miscellaneous services provided by his company, with said payments consisting of North Korean Fake $100 bills.

As Sean Garland fled from the CIA to North Korea, DeLorean resigned as President as his administration flailed and as the public’s on both sides of the Atlantic gave up on the old political parties of the past for the shining seemingly non-corrupt parties of the future (which mainly consisted of Vaguely of the Centre Former Military Men)...

Well for now at least.

It's time for another analog list for the U.S. This time it's Iceland, everyone's favorite country?
1933-1953 Franklin D. Roosevelt (D-NY) then (Non-Partisan-NY)
1953-1969 Lyndon B. Johnson (NP-TX)
1969-1981 Walter Cronkite (NP-NY)
1981-1997 Shirley Chisholm (NP-NY)
1997-2017 Bernie Sanders (NP-VT)
2017-present Lawrence Lessig (NP-MA)

Welp you can't leave us with this without telling us more!

Good ol' Fred.
tl;dr - Nixon claws over Kennedy and absolutely botches Cuba. Anti-communist militancy on the American mainland increases as does anti-government sentiment from the leftist bloc. Humphrey refuses to budge on civil rights to appeal to the Dixecrats. Walker gets elected and assassinated a year later by Lee Harvey Oswald, who's worshiped as a martyr by extremists. Agnew goes full goosestep and the counterculture war (Black Panthers, Weathermen, et al.) escalate to the point of actual factual civil war.
Good list, but this final part really makes me raise an eyebrow. I can buy Huey Long being the Democratic nominee for President in 1948 despite running against FDR in 1936. Or well, at least I find that less difficult to buy than the notion of Huey Long being able to bypass the seniority rules and become chairman of the Finance Committee after only four years in the Senate. If anything, he would have been the most junior member of that committee at the time. I just cannot see either Walter F. George being willing to hand over the chairmanship to Long, nor Harry Byrd doing the same (both were staunch conservatives).
He was also senator from 1932 to 1942, being reelected to the second seat by special election, meaning he's technically in the senate for 30+ years if you ignore the break in-between. Not to mention this is the Kingfish we're talking about, odds are he could talk Byrd and George into some sort of armistice.

From the seventh HOS challenge.

Pax Alexandrina

Rulers of Rome and Egypt under the Antonine-Ptolomean Dynasty

Mark Anthony (34 BCE -15 BCE)

with Cleopatra VII as Queen of Egypt

Nominally under Caesarion, as King of Kings (34 BCE - 20 BCE)

Iullus Antonius (15 BCE - 22 CE)

with Cleopatra Selene II as Queen of Egypt

Alexander Helios (22-26 CE)

Gnaeus Domitius Ahenobarbus (26-41), popularly known as Gnaeus Antonius

Lucius Domitius Ahenobarbus (41-59), also known as Lucius Antonius and Ptolemy XVII Antonius

Fabius Valens
(59-65) with Arsinoe VI as Queen of Egypt

Ptolemy XVIII and Arsinoe VI(65 - 71) in the East, General Gnaeus Julius Agricola in the West

Year of the Three Emperors (71 to 73) Titus Aufidius in Alexandria, Lucius Aurelius im Nicomedia, and Gnaeus Julius Agricola in Rome.

“It is by no means a matter of small importance, that of signaling with a proper date the demise of the Roman Republic, of searching for a proper grave in front of which to mourn and grieve for the last of the Romans, be them called Cato or Cicero, Pompey or Octavian.

The proclamation of Caesar’s dictatorship, the death of Pompey, the Donations of Alexandria or the Battle of Actium, perhaps the proper gravestone matters less, in the end, that the will, then heralded as divine, of Anthony and Cleopatra, and the irresistible pull of the living forces of history. It was the Eastern Mediterranean which saw the birth of Memphis, Troy, Athens, Phoenicia, Jerusalem and Alexandria, the greatest of all, and Anthony’s Will, that great betrayal denounced by Octavian Caesar and Virgil, was perhaps but an inevitable conclusion in the eternal conflict between East and West. Rome, of the martial and civic virtue, older or not, could not stand before Alexandria, nor could the resistance of Octavian at Actium or the martyrdom of Agrippa in Hispania reverse the course of history.

For a hundred years, the Antonine-Ptolonean Dynasty ruled a unified Mediterranean and a largely unified East. If Anthony’s wars could not completely subdue Parthia, the subjugation of Armenia, Nabatea and Media Atropatene, allowed for a the Roman-Egyptian Empire an hegemony over the East and a proper settlement of the terms of the Donations of Alexandria.

If the issues of succession often troubled the Alexandrian Throne upon an uncrowned Mark Anthony sat, as the deaths of Marcus Antonius Antyllus fighting Agrippa in Spain and Caesarion fighting Parthia robbed the Empire of able heirs, and the intrigues of the diminished Roman Senate perturbed the Pax Alexandrina, they did not threaten its foundations, nor the prosperity of the Empire.

The arts, philosophy and trade flourished under the reign of Iullus Antonius, who unlike his father took the title of King of Kings alongside the Consulship, and Alexander Helios, the son of Cleopatra and King of Armenia and Media-Atropatene. But the great court which would foster the likes of Seneca, Chaeremon, Claudius Ptolemy, Plutarch and Sabinus was not free of intrigue and power struggles, and the clash between Egyptian courtiers, Roman officers gone native and Generals who refused to do so even as they made Alexandria their seat. Of the latter, the most prominent was Lucius Domitius Ahenobarbus, husband to Antonia Major and father to Domitius, whom Suetonius described him as "arrogant, cruel, notorious and extravagant”, and dominated the Alexandrian Court from the Death of Anthony to his own in the year 23, which far from freeing the Empire from his yoke, was merely a pause before the complete slide of Alexandria into the hands of the Domitii Ahenobarbi and their associated strategoi.”

Last edited:
He was also senator from 1932 to 1942, being reelected to the second seat by special election, meaning he's technically in the senate for 30+ years if you ignore the break in-between.

Ignoring breaks is how seniority is counted in the German Bundestag, but not in the United States Senate. Continuous service, that's where it's at. Both Barry Goldwater and Hubert Humphrey were their respective parties' presidential nominees, and yet when they returned to the Senate, their seniority was back at square one. It didn't even matter that during his time as Vice President, Humphrey had literally been President of the Senate.

Not to mention this is the Kingfish we're talking about, odds are he could talk Byrd and George into some sort of armistice.

Byrd was a fiscal hawk, and an avowed opponent of the New Deal from the right. Huey Long was also an opponent of the New Deal, but decidedly from the left. Byrd absolutely loathed Huey Long, which is evidenced from that he went to some lengths to try to have his desk changed in the Senate, as he couldn't stand being seated (no pun intended) next to Long. (He had earlier, unsuccessfully, tried to keep Huey Long and the Louisiana delegation from even being seated at all at the 1932 Democratic National Convention.)

Huey Long was a very popular figure with the voters home in Louisiana, but that didn't translate well into the Senate. He plainly lacked the necessary horsetrading skills needed to be an effective legislator, he completely lacked the humility expected from a freshman senator, and would routinely make enemies for no other reason than vain grandstanding, often calling out other, more senior, Democratic senators by name. That did not make him popular.

A classic stefanbl monarch list, but this time I actually show my workings and tell you who the people are.

Ultimogeniture (Youngest Child Inherits) from George I

George I (Hannover) - 1714-1727
Sophia I(Hannover) - 1727-1757 (2nd Child of George I)
Augustus I (Hohenzollern) - 1757-1813 (14th Child of Sophia I)
Augustus II (Hohenzollern) 1813-1843 (7th child of Augustus I)
William IV (Orange-Nassau) 1843-1843 (Grandchild of the 13th Child of Sophia I, and OTL King of the Netherlands)
Mary II (Orange-Nassau) 1843-1883 (4th Child of William IV)
Alexandrine I (Hohenzollern) 1883-1906 (4th Child of Mary II)
Albert I (Hohenzollern) 1906-1906 (3rd Child of Mary II)
Friedrich I (Hohenzollern) 1906-1925 (3rd Child of Albert I)
Albert II (Hohenzollern) 1925-1939 (2nd Child of Albert I)
Albert III (Hohenzollern) 1939-1940 (1st Child of Albert I)
Feodora I (Wettin) 1940-1945 (Grandchild of the 1st Child of Mary II)
William V (Wied-Neuwied) 1945-1945 (Grandchild of 3rd Child of William IV, and briefly Prince of Albania)
Victor I (Wied-Neuwied) 1945-1973 (2nd Child of William V)
Carl I (Bernadotte) 1973-2003 (Great Great Grandchild of 2nd Child of William IV)
Albert IV (Belgium) 2003- (Great Great Great Grandchild of 2nd Child of William IV, and was King of Belgium OTL until 2013)

On checking back I made an error but the results of the correct method were much more boring than the error, so I left it in

A classic stefanbl monarch list, but this time I actually show my workings and tell you who the people are.

Ultimogeniture (Youngest Child Inherits) from George I

George I (Hannover) - 1714-1727
Sophia I(Hannover) - 1727-1757 (2nd Child of George I)
Augustus I (Hohenzollern) - 1757-1813 (14th Child of Sophia I)
Augustus II (Hohenzollern) 1813-1843 (7th child of Augustus I)
William IV (Orange-Nassau) 1843-1843 (Grandchild of the 13th Child of Sophia I, and OTL King of the Netherlands)
Mary II (Orange-Nassau) 1843-1883 (4th Child of William IV)
Alexandrine I (Hohenzollern) 1883-1906 (4th Child of Mary II)
Albert I (Hohenzollern) 1906-1906 (3rd Child of Mary II)
Friedrich I (Hohenzollern) 1906-1925 (3rd Child of Albert I)
Albert II (Hohenzollern) 1925-1939 (2nd Child of Albert I)
Albert III (Hohenzollern) 1939-1940 (1st Child of Albert I)
Feodora I (Wettin) 1940-1945 (Grandchild of the 1st Child of Mary II)
William V (Wied-Neuwied) 1945-1945 (Grandchild of 3rd Child of William IV, and briefly Prince of Albania)
Victor I (Wied-Neuwied) 1945-1973 (2nd Child of William V)
Carl I (Bernadotte) 1973-2003 (Great Great Grandchild of 2nd Child of William IV)
Albert IV (Belgium) 2003- (Great Great Great Grandchild of 2nd Child of William IV, and was King of Belgium OTL until 2013)

On checking back I made an error but the results of the correct method were much more boring than the error, so I left it in

Bit sad this isn't strict ultimogeniture - when I was working out how exactly Juan is last for the throne, I know I encountered the rather funny issue (which you can't get with most any other type of succession) that "higher up" branches marrying in actually loses you your spot in line.

Bit sad this isn't strict ultimogeniture - when I was working out how exactly Juan is last for the throne, I know I encountered the rather funny issue (which you can't get with most any other type of succession) that "higher up" branches marrying in actually loses you your spot in line.

Could you explain how strict ultimogeniture would work?

Could you explain how strict ultimogeniture would work?

Just replace "whoever is first in line" with "whoever is last in line". It's often just youngest daughter because of bog-standard male-preference stuff, but it starts to get massively convoluted when - well take, like, Philip, who was very distantly in line through Victoria but obviously his kids aren't, are they? Better claim takes preference.

UK law also messes it up because you have to work out if random bankrupt noble in the 1890s married a Catholic, hence the actual line ends up being a fairly tortured path via the Duke of Württemberg.

Just replace "whoever is first in line" with "whoever is last in line". It's often just youngest daughter because of bog-standard male-preference stuff, but it starts to get massively convoluted when - well take, like, Philip, who was very distantly in line through Victoria but obviously his kids aren't, are they? Better claim takes preference.

UK law also messes it up because you have to work out if random bankrupt noble in the 1890s married a Catholic, hence the actual line ends up being a fairly tortured path via the Duke of Württemberg.

Ah, I suppose then what is the limit? The British line to the throne is famously many thousands, though I imagine other countries keep a tighter list.

Gender Neutral Inheritance from William the Conqueror

William I
(Normandy) 1066-1087
William II (Normandy) 1087-1100
Henry I (Normandy) 1100-1135
Matilda I (Normandy) 1135-1167
Henry II (Plantagenet) 1167-1189
Matilda II (Plantagenet) 1189-1189 (Matilda probably died before her father, but it's more interesting if she didn't)
Matilda III (Weif) 1189-1209
Henry III (Welf) 1209-1227 (2nd Child of Matilda II)
Irmengard I (Welf) 1227-1260
Rudolf I (Zähringen) 1260-1287
Henry IV (Welf) 1287-1322 (Child of Great Grandchild of Matilda II)
Otto I (Welf) 1322-1344 (Child of Great Great Grandchild of Matilda II)
Albert I (Welf) 1344-1358 (Child of Great Great Grandchild of Matilda II)
Henry V (Welf) 1358-1363 (Child of Great Great Grandchild of Matilda II)
Magnus I (Welf) 1363-1369 (Child of Great Great Grandchild of Matilda II)
Magnus II (Welf) 1369-1373
Elizabeth I (Welf) 1373-1423
Ingeborg I (Schauenburg) 1423-1465
Christian I (Oldenburg) 1465-1481 (Child of Child of Elizabeth I, OTL King of Denmark)
John I (Oldenburg) 1481-1513 (OTL King of Denmark and Norway)
Christian II (Oldenburg) 1513-1559 (OTL King of Denmark and Norway and Sweden)
Dorothea I (Oldenburg) 1559-1580
Christiana I (Oldenburg) 1580-1590
Charles I (Lorraine) 1590-1608
Henry VI (Lorraine) 1608-1624
Nicole I (Lorraine) 1624-1657
Charles II (Lorraine) 1657-1690
Cosimo I (Medici) 1690-1723
Anna I (Medici) 1723-1743
Federick I (Hesse) 1743-1746 (Child of Great Great Great Great Great Great Grandchild of John I)
Frederick II (Hesse-Kassel) 1746-1785 (Child of Great Great Great Great Great Great Grandchild of John I, and OTL King of Sweden)
William I (Hesse) 1785-1821 (Child of Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Grandchild of John I, and OTL King of Sweden)
William II (Hesse-Kassel) 1821-1847
William III (Hesse-Kassel) 1847-1875
Mary I (Hesse-Kassel) 1875-1888 (Child of William II)
George I (Saxe-Meiningen) 1888-1914
Bernhard I (Saxe-Meiningen) 1914-1928
Feodroa I (Wettin) 1928-1945
Feodroa II (Saxe-Meiningen) 1945-1972 (Child of Child of George I)
Sophie I (Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach) 1972-1988
Michael I (Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach) 1988- (Child of Child of Feordoa II)

The Medici's and the branch of the Lorraine's who married into them were horribly incestous, with different grandparents feeding into the same people, so I got stuck in an incest circle for a while. I've also changed the formatting into something which is hopefully superior, including leaving off explanations when it's just one of the children of the previous Monarch.

Timeline of U.S. Presidential Elections Between "Dixie Curtain" & "Dixie Curtain Sequel"

1964: Republican (i.e. liberal) Joe Kennedy, Jr. & Harold Stassen (Winner) vs. Democrat (i.e. conservative) Gov. Richard Nixon & Sen. Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr. [1]

1968:
Harold Stassen & Edmund Muskie (Winner) vs. Nelson Rockefeller & Gerald Ford [2]

1972:
Richard Nixon & Rep. James Rhodes (Winner) vs. Harold Stassen & Edmund Muskie [3]

1976:
Richard Nixon & James Rhodes (Winner) vs. Henry M. Jackson & Sargent Shriver

1980: (????) (Winner) vs. Gov. Jerry Brown & Rep. Ted Kennedy [4]

1984:
Ronald Reagan & Phil Crane (Winner) vs. Rep. Ted Kennedy & Sen. Gaylord Nelson [5]

1988:
Sen. Walter Mondale & (????) (Winner) vs. Ronald Reagan & CT Rep. G.H.W. Bush [6]

[1] The events of "Dixie Curtain", far from undermining JPK's reelection campaign, actually propel him to a larger-than-expected margin of victory, yet a greater number of voters are wary of his and the GOP's agenda in the aftermath.

[2] Stassen wins much more narrowly, with most of his support being based on his tenure as JPK's VP.

[3] The death of GenSec Trotsky in 1969 (age 89), and fears over both the effects of the subsequent leadership turmoil in the USSR and the increasingly stagnating/hardline CSA to the south, severely undermines the GOP all the way to 1972, leading to Nixon's victory that year.

[4] Haven't decided whether to have Nixon run for a third term, or have Reagan win as in OTL, or go with another choice; suggestions welcome!

[5] Reagan's increasingly obvious decline in health and VP Crane's more and more tiresome/overwrought fearmongering over CSA and Soviet threats leads to a severely diminished margin of victory for the Dems.

[6] Crane's fearmongering finally leads to his being dropped from the ticket in favor of Bush, yet Mondale still wins thanks to public weariness with the effectively three-sided Cold War. Still not sure whether to go with Ferraro or another female VP choice; have already decided against Feinstein. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Back