• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Makemakean Does Various Graphical Things!

Yep, Max is right on this one.

There's been ironworking since the roman era on a very small scale, and Stanton Ironworks just south of town was absolutely massive- employing 7,000 people at its height (which would have been something like a quarter of the working male population) and was producing millions of tons of iron casting every year.
Sheffield, of course, went with Vulcan instead.
1612802860209.png

1612802795373.png

Last time we passed the statue by the side of the motorway, someone had painted it to look like Superman. (I suppose there is the John Henry Irons connection)

Yep, Max is right on this one.

There's been ironworking since the roman era on a very small scale, and Stanton Ironworks just south of town was absolutely massive- employing 7,000 people at its height (which would have been something like a quarter of the working male population) and was producing millions of tons of iron casting every year.
I was already picturing Ilkeston as an expansion faction from the board game Scythe, and you’re doing nothing to disabuse me of that.

I won't lie, I am in retrospect a little disappointed in myself that I didn't go for a bolder, crazier design when it came to Ernelinde's dress...

View attachment 32517

Oh, well, I suppose I can always draw more pictures of her in the future...
Don't make me pull out all the moral panic Punch cartoons about crinoline in the 1850s.

you absolute madman

Why, thank you. :)

Don't make me pull out all the moral panic Punch cartoons about crinoline in the 1850s.

Well I mean, to a certain extent, that might be very much desireable... When I started the Swedish Strangerverse, one of my ideas was that it was going to be that it would be more akin to history such as it exists in popular conception and imagination, than the way things actually were, that it would be more a more outlandish and romantic, outright story-like than real life. So Gustav III really is this crazy-smart King deadset on making Sweden an absolute monarchy by stealth and he has the ability to pull it off, Pechlin really is just as dangerous as everyone imagined him, and is perfectly happy to do a coup to take over the country, von Fersen really does have an affair with Marie Antoinette and is the biological father of the Dauphin, etc., etc.

Seeing steampunk is basically meant to be "the Victorian Age on steroids", I suppose that once we reach the second half of the 19th century, the effect should actually be compounded, and that particularly so in fashion. We need to go for the craziest stuff!

Thought I should try to draw Ernelinde as she would appear at the time of The Great Nordic Election Night (which she admittedly doesn't figure in at all). I figure that she is this very shy, timid child, the sort of natural outcome of a very shielded childhood. She probably has countless courtiers, but very few (if indeed any) friends her own age.

eight_years_ernelinde.png

Well, my computer crashed while I was in the process of working on the above picture yesterday, and it corrupted the .psd file something awfully. I was fortunately however eventually able to restore it (though it took a while!), but it taught me a lesson about keeping back-ups. And maybe that I need to uninstall and reinstall my version of Photoshop, seeing the whole program was acting glitchy when I turned the computer back on again. Turning it on and off seems to have done the trick, but, well, I should have a closer look.

Anyway, here we are, Princess Ernelinde as she looked at age 8 in 1867, on the Eve of Nordic Reunification.

8-years-ernelinde-cropped.png

Well, I figure this should be the last picture I make of her for a while. It's getting a bit repetitive.

Plus, @Redolegna has suggested a new project for me that I am rather keen to get into...

I should probably try to draw another picture of Brynhildur one of these days, now that I feel that I am ever so slightly better at drawing women. I suppose the sense of fashion I kind of want to go for is something that is elegant, yet casual, imposing yet utilitarian.

brynhildur_clothing_sketch.png

Yeah... I suppose that'll do.

Showed this to @Redolegna earlier this evening. My idea for what the western part of Europe looks like in 1875 in the world of the Nordic election night:

fucked_up_germany.png

Germany is a mess and has been a mess ever since the end of the Napoleonic War as Prussia and Austria for decades afterward vied for supremacy. In the 1860s, while British and French attention was focused elsewhere, there was finally a war between the two powers that went on for years and years, and during which, there was a revolution in Lombardy-Venetia against Habsburg rule, with the Prussians allying with them (I cannot tell if they're a republic or a monarchy down there because I haven't decided yet). By 1868, with the Nortonian Wars in North America finally done and concluded with the Treaty of Havanah, the British and French could finally turn their attention to continental affairs, and the Great Partnership now pressed for peace as they did not want the conflict to spill over into a continental one.

The French made use of their influence in Vienna and the British of theirs in Berlin, and in the summer of 1868, a peace conference was finally held at Locarno in Switzerland, in which Lombard-Venetian independence was recognized by the Austrians and the Kingdom of Bohemia was broken out as an independent, neutral buffer state. This was also Nicolas Andersen's first time to shine on the world stage as he was invited to serve as the mediator.

Beyond the Prussian and Austrian aligned German principalities there is also the League of Lyksborg (or, well, der Glücksburger Bund if you're a German-speaker) which is a Scandinavian dominated alliance that basically exists for principalities that want to stay out of a future conflict involving Austria and Prussia. It's members as of 1875 are the Nordic Empire, the Grand Duchy of Oldenburg, the Kingdom of Hanover, the Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, the Free City of Lübeck, the Hessian states and one or two of the microstates in the Thüringian quagmire.

Decided to try to draw Ernelinde again, because apparently, that is all that I am capable of drawing these days...

erneline_new_partway.png

I think I should try drawing more dynamical figures after that, figures that are moving. I like Emperor Arthur, I like his somewhat gnarly body, with long limps and everything. I sort of reckon that he is a bouncy character...

arthur_sketchy.png

Okay, so clearly my sense of proportions isn't as good as I would want them to be, not even for this kind of proof of concept quick sketches, and his arms seems to bend in ways they really shouldn't, but if I were to spend a weekend on it, I think I could do a very good version of the one above.

Max, that's simply brilliant and if they don't know how lucky they are to have you, all the people involved in teaching on this board will gladly come to Düsseldorf and scream at them for a bit.
I concur with the honourable member for the Nth arrondissement.

If nothing else, getting illustrations for teaching materials is a nightmare nowadays due to overprotective copyright law, so being able to draw them oneself would be a time-saving skill even if one didn't have Max's cartooning ability. Those robots remind me of the style in Usborne books from the 1980s.

Max, that's simply brilliant and if they don't know how lucky they are to have you, all the people involved in teaching on this board will gladly come to Düsseldorf and scream at them for a bit.

I concur with the honourable member for the Nth arrondissement.

If nothing else, getting illustrations for teaching materials is a nightmare nowadays due to overprotective copyright law, so being able to draw them oneself would be a time-saving skill even if one didn't have Max's cartooning ability. Those robots remind me of the style in Usborne books from the 1980s.

Thank you, good gentlemen, that is very heartwarming.

I've always been fond of drawing robots. When I was a kid, I would at times just fill entire pages with them in my spare time.

robotmania.jpg

Back