• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Doctor Who: The Luxor Alternative

It's The Giants being the first story that's even weirder than Luxor getting in for me: "what's the first story for our show about time travel?" "They're made really small." What??
There does appear to be a button for this plot idea in every science fiction show that someone keeps pushing. It's all Dean Swift's fault. I like how in Stargate (paging @varyar) they even had a joke where Carter and Daniel have phased into intangibility, but the other scientist they call in is convinced they must have shrunk down to a tiny size instead, because clearly that plot has to happen at some point.

It was a bit surprising it took until late DS9 for live action Star Trek to do it, though they'd already done it in the animated series where the SFX was rather easier to do.

There does appear to be a button for this plot idea in every science fiction show that someone keeps pushing. It's all Dean Swift's fault. I like how in Stargate (paging @varyar) they even had a joke where Carter and Daniel have phased into intangibility, but the other scientist they call in is convinced they must have shrunk down to a tiny size instead, because clearly that plot has to happen at some point.

It was a bit surprising it took until late DS9 for live action Star Trek to do it, though they'd already done it in the animated series where the SFX was rather easier to do.
Animated stuff will throw out the average because every cartoon series aimed at children will at some point have the cast get turned Fat/Tiny/Into babies or conversely have their parents get turned into babies in need of supervision/ aged up or turned into some kind of animal.

I'm not saying these tropes are bad. They are usually the funnest episodes IMO.

Though I do find it eyebrow-raising that Big Finish said it was downplaying some religious aspects of the Luxor script if it doesn't play down the sexism in other old scripts.

You know, I've been wondering about that since I worked on the article. The only things I could think of, even after thinking about it again because of your post, were A. The original writer of Mission to Magnus (Philip Martin) also adapted it for audio and B. Perhaps because of the reaction Magnus had (and there was one based on my memory of the forums at the time), Big Finish might have had some thoughts when it came to adapting later Lost Stories.

Back