• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

PODs of the Thirty Years War XIX

Ah, Wallenstein.

Between them he and Gustavus really do act as a cautionary parable about the idea of the 'Man of Destiny.'

I quite like the idea of him ending up a bitter provincial nobleman in France, angry that his advice isn't being sought by young commanders.

Have always meant to comment that it brightens my day to see new a installment of these published to the site. Really shedding some light on an underserved and complex area of European history. With plenty of potential for counterfactuals. Bravo.

I was legitimately joking at the start about 'a Thirty Part series on the Thirty Years War' and now I'm starting to wonder if that's going to be an underestimate because it's so complex.

See this is why fiction is better than history.

In fiction Lutzen would have been a titanic battle that obliterated one or both armies and the war would wrap up shortly after.

In reality the war just kept on going listlessly as everyone kind of lost any notion of how to win it or even desire to do so but could not see a way to peace either.

See this is why fiction is better than history.

In fiction Lutzen would have been a titanic battle that obliterated one or both armies and the war would wrap up shortly after.

In reality the war just kept on going listlessly as everyone kind of lost any notion of how to win it or even desire to do so but could not see a way to peace either.

One of my big goals with this is doing the post-1635 period justice.

Because basically you get to the Peace of Prague and, as you say, narratively the war should be over because all the interesting 'characters' are dead- Gustavus Adolphus, Wallenstein, Frederick V of the Palatinate, Tilly, Pappenheim etc.

But the war just keeps on going and even most of the historians are just 'um I don't know'

One of my big goals with this is doing the post-1635 period justice.

Because basically you get to the Peace of Prague and, as you say, narratively the war should be over because all the interesting 'characters' are dead- Gustavus Adolphus, Wallenstein, Frederick V of the Palatinate, Tilly, Pappenheim etc.

But the war just keeps on going and even most of the historians are just 'um I don't know'

Well, there's Torstenson. And Richelieu looming malevolently. Plus the Great European Crisis making it to the shores of England and then we have the fairly cool if subdued Frederick Henry of Orange interacting. This is the only Orange person I will ever praise, mind you.

Well, there's Torstenson. And Richelieu looming malevolently. Plus the Great European Crisis making it to the shores of England and then we have the fairly cool if subdued Frederick Henry of Orange interacting. This is the only Orange person I will ever praise, mind you.

Not even William the Silent?

Back