• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Comics of Infinite Earths - Another Marvel

I think the possibility of a genuine three-way comics war with more 'supernatural/out there' Charlton is the most interesting aspect of this, though I really don't know enough to be able to tell if three companies can survive where only two did historically. It does seem possible that unmitigated Kirby would be different enough from both DC and Marvel here that they end up with a different audience in the crash while DC and Marvel are fighting out for the same people.

Perhaps you start seeing things like Gaiman's Sandman or Alan Moore's work gravitating towards Charlton in this situation?

I like the idea of Jimmy Woo taking the place of Nick Fury, but I do feel obliged to point out that the character Black Knight was revived OTL as part of the Avengers--first Sir Percy of Scania's descendant appeared as a villainous member of the Masters of Evil, then his nephew took the repentant villain's stuff and became a minor Avenger, eventually rediscovering Sir Percy's sword.

No X-Men as we know them will have massive butterflies--probably someone will come up with superpowers-as-minorities later, perhaps either at Charlton or some independent press.

I really don't know enough to be able to tell if three companies can survive where only two did historically.

It's possible at least during the 60s, but when the market slump hits, this is a very good question! If a Kirby-charged Charlton survives and retains its spirit, I would definitely see people like Alan Moore heading there. (Of course if Marvel doesn't survive the 70s, there's no Marvel UK and then Moore's career is quite different. Instead of his early Doctor Who Weeklies, are we discussing his amazing 1981 revival of Brassneck for The Dandy??)

I do feel obliged to point out that the character Black Knight was revived OTL as part of the Avengers

Yeah, I cut that bit for time - Roy Thomas was a fan of the old Black Knight IIRC.

You're right that someone will eventually do superpowers-as-minorities later but, of course, who? And "when", at that, because if it comes out in the late 60s or the 70s, it's coming out when black activists are more radical, Stonewall's happened, feminism's in the second wave etc and your hated-and-feared superheroes will have a different response. (Maybe this is the equivalent of Green Lantern/Green Arrow that Neal Adams is on!)

Yeah, I cut that bit for time - Roy Thomas was a fan of the old Black Knight IIRC.

You're right that someone will eventually do superpowers-as-minorities later but, of course, who? And "when", at that, because if it comes out in the late 60s or the 70s, it's coming out when black activists are more radical, Stonewall's happened, feminism's in the second wave etc and your hated-and-feared superheroes will have a different response. (Maybe this is the equivalent of Green Lantern/Green Arrow that Neal Adams is on!)

Something that starts off with the later conception of the Brotherhood of Mutants (or its equivalent) as a 'we sort of share the same aims but we're willing to go to violent extremes unlike you cowards' antagonist from the get go rather than them starting off as 'generic evil version team' perhaps?

Back