• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Northern Ireland Fully Integrated into the UK

Simon

Oblivious
With Northern Ireland being in the new lately it got me wondering again but what's the earliest time do people think between its creation in 1922 and its abolition in 1973 that the Executive Committee of the Privy Council of Northern Ireland could be rescinded? One wild-arsed idea was for Labour to do so after WWII during their centralising and implementation of various programmes, this does however bring up the question of whether it would just be reversed by the Conservatives or if after five years inertia would simply see it left.

Last edited:
I'd expect the absolute earliest would be the early 1920s, when it's not yet embedded and it's thus easier to get rid of without many people complaining -give Baldwin or Macdonald a reason to care & scrub it.

One of the two main differences that sprang to mind was the normalisation of local politics – chances are Labour would stand candidates rather than stepping aside for the Social Democratic and Labour Party, the Conservatives however could well decide to stick with the Ulster Unionist Party for some time since they didn't merge with the Unionist Party in Scotland until the mid-1960s. The other major one that I can think of is that it means unlike in our timeline Parliament can discuss local matters. Is this possibly enough to head of part of the Troubles if local politicians aren't able to play sill buggers without scrutiny?

unlike in our timeline Parliament can discuss local matters. Is this possibly enough to head of part of the Troubles if local politicians aren't able to play sill buggers without scrutiny?

I'd think so. Though I can see ITTL a groundswell movement in Northern Ireland for a return to local government, as Westminster would feel a remote and often disinterested authority - be interesting if protestants and catholics both were involved in such a movement, cautiously working together for a common interest.

Back