• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

UK Labour Government in the 1920s/Early 1930s effect on Germany?

Nomad

I've currently been thinking about doing a PM list or a wikibox series on the UK with PR from 1918. This has led me to one rather important question; if Labour ended up in power with the support of the Liberals for the latter half of the 1920s, or alternatively for a longer period in the early 1930s prior to the Nazis coming to power; could they have made any real difference to the fate of the Weimar Republic?

I know they were supposedly more anti-reparations and anti-Versailles than the other major parties were at this point, but what is the probably of them being able to secure any sort of agreement with France and the US that could have made a substantial difference to Germany circumstances over OTL?

Do you mean a Labour majority government because there was a Labour Minority Government from 1929-1931. If Ramsay MacDonald wasn't Prime Minister and just Foreign Minister instead in a 1920s Labour Government he could probably be a bit more successful, since he organised a lot of the treaty's during the mid 20s that brought Germany back into the international community.

Do you mean a Labour majority government because there was a Labour Minority Government from 1929-1931. If Ramsay MacDonald wasn't Prime Minister and just Foreign Minister instead in a 1920s Labour Government he could probably be a bit more successful, since he organised a lot of the treaty's during the mid 20s that brought Germany back into the international community.
I was more thinking a Labour government (majority or minority) that lasted a couple of years beyond 1931- particularly into 1932, when I believe there was a push for the cancellation of Germanys reparations.

I was more thinking a Labour government (majority or minority) that lasted a couple of years beyond 1931- particularly into 1932, when I believe there was a push for the cancellation of Germanys reparations.
Hmm, maybe. You would probably have to have a different Prime Minister than Ramsay MacDonald to push that through, by that point he was spent. Maybe one under Henderson, Clyndes, or Cripps (who would be a good candidate since he wanted a united front against Fascism) could work, not sure about Attlee or Morrison although if the party demanded it then I could see them complying. Of course lifting reparations and helping Germany doesn't stop the Weimer Republic from most likely falling, just it wouldn't be the Nazi's that cause it.

Back