• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Evolution of the Alien Space Bat

You know I think you've hinted at some of that @David Flin but I can't recall ever seeing the full explanation.

It's food for thought definitely.

It's really interesting to see how a phrase that's become an integral part of the lexicon came about, and how the use has moved since it did.
There's almost a linguistics lesson in there.

Oh, and the image of the Alien Space Bat is, I think, really cool. And was probably made by a very handsome person.

Reading this has made me wonder, do we perhaps need a new term to refer to sci-fi/fantasy AH? Perhaps referring to them by whatever genre they fall into rather than the catch-all, and arguably belittling, term ASB.

Oh, and the image of the Alien Space Bat is, I think, really cool. And was probably made by a very handsome person.
It's good, but I've always been partial to

110908spacebat.jpg

No question that it was an example of a change in meaning, and interesting to observe the almost complete 180 that it did.

A good example of that is the way that “the law of the jungle” now means something almost the opposite to Kipling’s poem. The poem describes the strict rights and responsibilities of the various wolves in the pack, and is designed to protect the weakest members.

Back