• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

British Republic PODs and Discussion

Commonwealth of Britain is the stereotypical one. See Tony Benn's Commonwealth of Britain Bill; which essentially amounted to a wish list of things he would like to see.
The Commonwealth of Britain Bill, now you have me intrigued, what is it.

Oh yes, it was basically just Benn proposing a list of things he would like and are therefore the only logical and sane choices on the matter, seconded by Corbyn of course. It's the private member bill equivalent of a BR post.

Good name though.

I think abolishing the monarchy would be slightly more tolerable if we went for Commonwealth rather than boring old "Republic of".

Good name though.

I think abolishing the monarchy would be slightly more tolerable if we went for Commonwealth rather than boring old "Republic of".

I'm not saying Republic would see a spike in support in spite of their incompetence if they were to change their name to Commonwealth, but

It'd have my vote if I were an MP, but obviously I'm not, and I'd know it wouldn't go anywhere, like most EDMs.

No - Commonwealthsmen was literally the term used at the time for that faction. The thing you're describing was literally OTL.

Also, I would love to see NWA ISOTed to the 1650s.

Oh, I see, I'm ashamed to admit I didn't know that.

Would you believe me if I told you I meant to type NMA?

As you say, NWA being ISOT'ed to back then would be interesting.

Hmm, what about delaying the W3k for a generation or so with an alternate Charles I so it combines with a Glorious Revolution type event. Ie a W3K with greater religious overtones.

In the case of a British Revolution in the 1830s, what would happen to the colonies? Here are my thoughts on some colonies.

India would go British, as the East India Company feared a “native” revolt and would likely give them to Britain to avert this possibility. It was also more loyal to money than any ruler, so allying with the king in exile in Hanover makes no real sense in that regard. Seeing rather blatant divisions within the ruling class would result in rebellions throughout India.

The Canadas would see some recalcitrance from the Governor-General and the local populations, but I think it would go British since the republic would pledge further reforms in terms of responsible government. In Upper Canada, you’d see riots, but riots aren’t really anything new in this colony. In Lower Canada, the population would be a little angry about being ruled by republicans, but so long as they aren’t interfered with, they would be mostly ambivalent to the republic. The Patriotes would be pretty happy to see large reforms passed, but they were never anything more than a minority.

Nova Scotia is a little more interesting. Unlike Upper Canada, it didn’t see large amounts of immigration by non-Loyalist Americans post-ARW, so this firm loyalist sentiment means it may try to retain its loyalties to the king in Hanover. If any royalist mutinies occur, some ships may dock in Halifax, giving it some form of defence against the republic. You may see a war between Nova Scotia and the republic.

Nova Scotia is a little more interesting. Unlike Upper Canada, it didn’t see large amounts of immigration by non-Loyalist Americans post-ARW, so this firm loyalist sentiment means it may try to retain its loyalties to the king in Hanover. If any royalist mutinies occur, some ships may dock in Halifax, giving it some form of defence against the republic. You may see a war between Nova Scotia and the republic.

That's because the Loyalists that relocated to the Maritimes insisted they be in their own colony because they surmised that Nova Scotia was way too Yankee for their liking (hence the formation of New Brunswick). Nova Scotia itself would probably be divided considering the heavy settlement by New Englanders along the South Shore and all that (which of course influenced the local culture to some degree), even if the huge British presence at Halifax acts as a moderating influence. Nova Scotia therefore would be a tossup.

Also - don't forget that unlike what the Durham Report surmised, the Patriotes were a heterogenous bunch, including a considerable amount of Irish people who are probably a little bit bitter about certain other issues. If the French-Canadian nationalists were smart, they'd probably profess allegiance to any republic in Britain because that would definitely guarantee that their rights would continue to be guaranteed as they were already with the Québec Act and later on with the Clergy Endowments Act, 1791 (nowadays known much better IOTL as the Constitution Act, 1791). Bonus points if the Act of Union, 1840 could be avoided and especially if the Durham Report was more even-handed and more sensitive to nuances within the Patriote movement instead of treating it as a simple English/French division. That way liberal French-Canadian nationalism would survive and remain the dominant form of nationalism within French Canada - of course with massive butterflies of its own.

Back