• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate History General Discussion

View attachment 49742

Frog and Toad Hitler and Stalin are Friends
1437657446-87963d77ce20557c449d85a49964d6fa1.jpg

In Romanian AH news,I see that one of the more prolific SciFi writers of the Nineties,Dănuţ Ivănescu,has finally released another book where,uh,the Dacians Kingdom remains a thing til today and the Roman Empire conquers the Mayans,becoming the Romayan Empire?

HWAT

I,uh,think that it’s supposed a parallel to how the Byzantines became more and more Greek over time but it doesn’t work because it’s the FUCKING MAYANS

Also the split between the Western and Eastern Roman Empires still happens,the Dardani are still a thing and the Slavs still come and the Grand Duchy of Vladimir is still around and dominant politically.

Yeah.

In Romanian AH news,I see that one of the more prolific SciFi writers of the Nineties,Dănuţ Ivănescu,has finally released another book where,uh,the Dacians Kingdom remains a thing til today and the Roman Empire conquers the Mayans,becoming the Romayan Empire?

HWAT

I,uh,think that it’s supposed a parallel to how the Byzantines became more and more Greek over time but it doesn’t work because it’s the FUCKING MAYANS

Also the split between the Western and Eastern Roman Empires still happens,the Dardani are still a thing and the Slavs still come and the Grand Duchy of Vladimir is still around and dominant politically.

Yeah.

Sounds really cool.

Sounds really cool.
Here’s a fragment for it that I found online and managed to translate into English:

”He sat down, as usual, at the last table on the left, with his back to the fleuron pillar by the kitchen door. The gas lamps hanging from the ceiling, mimicking the austere style of the Dayzida dynasty before the Thracians were drove out of Europe, created a gloomy atmosphere, stretching the shadows on the granite walls on which hung the chain-link shirt of a tyraget catafract, a few larch bows and a tlaxacab piarens with a cracked spring. In the Maechua of Berechet it was known that Derzelas was a nationalist who would have christened his tavern Amissa Dacia,if he had been allowed by the White Chancellery. He hadn't been allowed,so he'd called it neutrally Many Shards, which didn't stop him from beating up customers without Thracian blood whenever he caught them. With his own hand sometimes. It was even whispered in the corners that in a back room, the archons of the local cells of the Green Caps met every month, always on a different day.

At the knotted teak plank bar, Ortolan walked absently, pointing his straight, fingernail-free finger at the edge of the clay jug adorned with scalloped grooves. He seemed absent, though he never was. He couldn't afford to be.

A talented storyteller, Ortolan. He wrote a front-page article on "Enough.” Once upon a time, when people were still reading. Two volumes of published short stories… Later translated into latteca-nah by Lisimah Servandus. By Lisimah Servandus himself. Then the Young Dawos broke his bones. They ripped off his fingernails, crushed his nose, and spat in his mouth. They dragged him along the Via Ziaxes, from Roles Square to Ramidava Gate, with a plaque hanging around his neck which they had forced him to scribble with his own blood: “I am a traitorous pig and enemy of the nation who wrote books for the Romayans ". At the same time, his woman left him, after 30 years of marriage and five children. She had been looking for an ambitious man, Zetzi, had found him, but in the end his convictions had stifled her. It is said that women have desires, and men have aspireations. And duties. Belizarie said that. Belizarie, my cynical bastard. “

Working on details for an AH Pacific Theater campaign as background events in my current writing, and wanted to run the following past anybody with a specialty in it, or just better knowledge than mine:

What's the likelihood that the Aleutians could've been used as a jumping-off point for invading the Kuriles, and then perhaps Hokkaido? This presumes, of course, that the Japanese are still focused on defending farther south, from the DEI to Kyushu, and so don't have the manpower/fortifications (at least at the start) to block an American assault through the Kuriles.

Not much. The logistics are abominable, and it'd be too close to the USSR for comfort politically.

Yeah, something on the scale of D-Day, let alone Downfall, doesn't seem likely even with the AH allowances I'm making (i.e., US almost entirely focused on Japan, with only air and episodic land involvement in Europe). What about something more low-key, like deploying the 1st Special Service Force for raiding the Kuriles and Hokkaido, and (possibly) as a means of seizing isolated spots for follow-up sea or paratroop landings?

What about something more low-key, like deploying the 1st Special Service Force for raiding the Kuriles and Hokkaido, and (possibly) as a means of seizing isolated spots for follow-up sea or paratroop landings?

Maybe something like the Makin Islands Raid where the goal is just to lure forces away. And even then, I'd see it as too much risk for too little reward, and you'd need to get Stalin's permission that he'd quite possibly decline (with both paranoia and legitimate fear that it would disrupt the northern/Pacific lend lease route while gaining the Soviets nothing).

Back