• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

WI Gospel of Thomas replaces Gospel of Mark in canon

Jared

Book 1 - 70%
Published by SLP
This is a WI about an alternative Christian New Testament canon.

Many gospels circulated in early Christianity, more than 40 judging by surviving references and what has been identified in archaeology. These gospels represented a wide variety of beliefs.

Four of those gospels were chosen as the canonical gospels, ie those preserved in the Christian New Testament by surviving Christian denominations. The others were neglected or rejected for various reasons, including some but not all by those deemed heretical (in other words, their authors lost the religious arguments).

Another reason why only four gospels were chosen was by the influential second-century Christian theologian Irenaeus of Lyon, who helped to define mainstream Christian theology and reject works which were viewed as heretical. Irenaeus argued that there should be four and only four gospels, because the earth had four corners and therefore there should be four pillars to uphold the church. As a result, the other gospels were largely forgotten, though a few have been preserved in whole or in part, sometimes through quotations from surviving authors, preserved in rare manuscripts, or identified in archaeology.

Of the four gospels which were preserved, the Gospel of Mark is the least influential. It is one of the three synoptic gospels, so called because they share similar stories in a similar sequence. Mark is a much shorter gospel than the others, and contains the fewest unique doctrines which are not found elsewhere. As an account of Jesus' life it begins with his baptism and ends with an empty tomb (in the original form); it does not have any descriptions of Jesus' ancestry, birth, early life or appearances after the resurrection.

Traditionally, Mark was viewed as being the second-written gospel, and was thought to be a summary of Matthew, though the modern scholarly consensus is that Mark is the oldest of the canonical gospels, and both Matthew and Luke borrowed from it (amongst other sources) when writing their gospels.

Mark was nearly abandoned as a gospel in OTL. Matthew was the most influential of the early gospels (though John became the most-cited later), and once Matthew became widespread, Mark became copied and circulated much less frequently.

So, what if Mark was abandoned entirely, and one of the OTL non-canonical gospels replaces it in the ATL canon?

In terms of what is removed from Christian doctrine, for the loss of Mark, the short answer is surprisingly little. While it contains some unique material and sayings not preserved elsewhere in the New Testament, these were not hugely influential, and most of the material in Mark is duplicated in Matthew and Luke.

As a replacement fourth gospel, the one I'm interested in exploring is the Gospel of Thomas, and not just because this is one that is nearly preserved in full. The Gospel of Thomas was found preserved in two versions in Egypt, a Coptic-language version which is preserved in full, and three Greek-language fragments which had been discovered earlier and were identified as part of Thomas once the Coptic version was found. The two versions are similar, but not identical.

Thomas is quite a different gospel to the canonical gospels. (Here is one translation and here is a more detailed commentary on its sayings.) It is a sayings gospel which preserves a variety of sayings and parables attributed to Jesus, but has minimal narrative and none of the more familiar descriptions of Jesus life: no baptism, no crucifixion, no resurrection. Many of the sayings preserved in Thomas have parallels in the canonical gospels, though some are unique, together with two parables. There is some argument over when Thomas was composed, with some authors arguing for an early date (second half of the first century) and others for a later date (first half of the second century), but the surviving versions of Thomas preserved at least some sayings which are considered early.

Thomas has often been considered a Gnostic gospel because it was found in association with other Gnostic texts. However, the preserved text of Thomas does not in fact contain much which is distinctively Gnostic - not much more than the canonical Gospel of John. It does refer to a "hidden message" in its introduction, which may take some rationalisation on the part of later Christianity since the gospel was considered to be universal. If Thomas is adopted as canonical, this might be explained by stating that the message was hidden at first but has now been communicated to all through the now-canonical Gospel of Thomas.

So, what would happen if Thomas replaced Mark amongst the canonical gospels?

Maybe it'll be the new testaments' version of the psalms.
Thomas is certainly cryptic in the sense that it gives the sayings but does not amplify or explain them as happens in the more narrative gospels. As such, there will probably be lots of traditions about how to interpret particular sayings and what this really means.

I'm assuming that passage where Jesus puts leadership in the hands of James is at least going to be used by critics of Roman supremacy?
No doubt. Although the likely response from Roman supremacy is that James had the leadership until his death, and then it passed to Peter.

I think you're wrong to suggest that there is no benefit to Mark TBH
I've said least of the four gospels, not none. There are certainly a couple of passages where the particular wording in Mark is absent. However, I'm struggling to think of any core Christian doctrine which relies on verses which are unique to Mark and which couldn't develop from the parallel passages in Mark and/or Luke.

Did you have any particular doctrines in mind which are unique to Mark and which couldn't have developed from elsewhere?

Not really a religious point, but, as someone named Mark, I wonder if it might make Mark a less popular name.
I would certainly suspect so. Mark is still a biblical NT name and of some note as a companion of Peter, and so would still be used. But the frequency would probably be lower since it's not so central. Thomas, of course, would receive a boost over even what it had in OTL.

@Jared No doctrines no but when you study the Gospels as a whole - or at least the Synoptics - Mark brings a lot to the table in terms of similar points, corroboration of ideas etc etc.

It's also the easiest and quickest to read which makes it great for recommending to people. At some point when I get home I'll dig out the book I was reading on the gospels by either Ramsey or Chesterton and tell you what they say about Mark and it's advantages

I've read both the Everlasting Man and Father Brown.

What's wrong with Chesterton?

Well absolutely nothing at all is wrong with Chesterton. I’m just surprised you enjoy the most polemic English Catholic apologist since Thomas More.

@Jared No doctrines no but when you study the Gospels as a whole - or at least the Synoptics - Mark brings a lot to the table in terms of similar points, corroboration of ideas etc etc.

It's also the easiest and quickest to read which makes it great for recommending to people. At some point when I get home I'll dig out the book I was reading on the gospels by either Ramsey or Chesterton and tell you what they say about Mark and it's advantages
@Jared

Having dug out the book I actually wanted, the point Hoskyn's makes is that Mark puts forward what is called a "Son of God Christology". His focus is on the concept of Jesus the person as well as the divine son of God and how that dovetails with ideas put forward in the Old Testament.

Without Mark what you have is Jesus the good Teacher who rises from the dead, but no idea of why that is important or why this man is special.

Well absolutely nothing at all is wrong with Chesterton. I’m just surprised you enjoy the most polemic English Catholic apologist since Thomas More.

I enjoy reading Chesterton.

The Gospel of Thomas has a heck of a lot of mystical stuff. I could see it leading to the Church having more complex debates and internal schisms and likely a rather different reformation. We've taken out one of the more accessible gospels and produced something complex that will spark arguments. This will have a big impact on the idea that lay people should interpret the gospel.

One possibility is that the church goes down the Geneva Bible route and when printing comes in the commentary at the side of the text becomes incredibly important

This will likely impact nuns and their initiation a fair bit

Simon Peter says to them: "Let Mary go out from our midst, for women are not worthy of life!" Jesus says: "See, I will draw her so as to make her male so that she also may become a living spirit like you males. For every woman who has become male will enter the Kingdom of heaven."

The Gospel of Thomas has a heck of a lot of mystical stuff. I could see it leading to the Church having more complex debates and internal schisms and likely a rather different reformation. We've taken out one of the more accessible gospels and produced something complex that will spark arguments. This will have a big impact on the idea that lay people should interpret the gospel.

One possibility is that the church goes down the Geneva Bible route and when printing comes in the commentary at the side of the text becomes incredibly important

Wasn't there a Russian sect that did mastectomies and castration to its members? Perhaps TTL's nuns can do the former?

Are there any good resources on these?

I thought the church were very much against lay people getting hold of the full gospel in the first few centuries?

Wasn't there a Russian sect that did mastectomies and castration to its members? Perhaps TTL's nuns can do the former?
Biblical scholars tend to view that passage thusly (this is from Robert Funk and Roy Hoover): "In v. 3 Jesus is not suggesting a sex-change operation, but is using 'male' and 'female' metaphorically to refer to the higher and lower aspects of human nature. Mary is thus to undergo a spiritual transformation from her earthly, material, passionate nature (which the evangelist equates with the female) to a heavenly, spiritual, intellectual nature (which the evangelist equates with the male). This transformation may possibly have involved ritual acts or ascetic practices."

Most people ITTL would probably use this interpretation, although the Skoptsy and similar groups would no doubt use this passage as proof of their belief. I could also see transgender people using a more literal interpretation of that passage to argue that even the Bible is against gender essentialism.

Biblical scholars tend to view that passage thusly (this is from Robert Funk and Roy Hoover): "In v. 3 Jesus is not suggesting a sex-change operation, but is using 'male' and 'female' metaphorically to refer to the higher and lower aspects of human nature. Mary is thus to undergo a spiritual transformation from her earthly, material, passionate nature (which the evangelist equates with the female) to a heavenly, spiritual, intellectual nature (which the evangelist equates with the male). This transformation may possibly have involved ritual acts or ascetic practices."

Most people ITTL would probably use this interpretation, although the Skoptsy and similar groups would no doubt use this passage as proof of their belief. I could also see transgender people using a more literal interpretation of that passage to argue that even the Bible is against gender essentialism.

Ah that makes way more sense.

Back