• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

WI: Congregationalist President

John Adams was a congregationalist. He did admittedly not adhere to the orthodoxy of someone like say Jonathan Edwards, particularly on matters like soteriology, but he went to a congregationalist church through all his life.

Indeed, I would go as far as to claim that much of the republican sentiment in New England in the years leading up to the revolutionary war can be directly traced to the Puritan heritage, both in terms of the inherent democratic tendencies in its church polity, the independence of various congregations, and the independence of thought it allowed the individual congregant.

John Adams was a congregationalist. He did admittedly not adhere to the orthodoxy of someone like say Jonathan Edwards, particularly on matters like soteriology, but he went to a congregationalist church through all his life.

Indeed, I would go as far as to claim that much of the republican sentiment in New England in the years leading up to the revolutionary war can be directly traced to the Puritan heritage, both in terms of the inherent democratic tendencies in its church polity, the independence of various congregations, and the independence of thought it allowed the individual congregant.
I do struggle to understand how Massachusetts managed to have a congregationalist state church, it feels a lot like missing the point.

Back