• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Which script does WIAF's independent Yakutia use?

Hendryk

Taken back control yet?
Published by SLP
Thirteen years ago, when With Iron and Fire was still in its early stages of development, Chuck Häberl contributed the story "Jakutija", in which the misadventures of two Siberian linguists resulted in their newly independent country adopting as its official script Soyombo, rather than the Latin or Cyrillic alphabets.

This was intended to reduce Russian cultural hegemony and foster the development of a proper Yakutian national identity. The idea was, however, that the script would go with a new language, "Yakutian", a modernized version of classical Mongolian with liberal infusions of Russian and Sakha. It would be the country's official lingua franca, like, say, English in Singapore, but every ethnic group would retain the right to use its own language for internal matters. Schooling would be done both in Yakutian and another language, whether Russian, Buryat, Sakha, Yiddish, etc. depending on the schools.

I'm now wondering whether to make this development canon as far as the definitive, published version of the TL is concerned. What do you folks think of its plausibility? Assuming Yakutia goes for a custom script, wouldn't Orkhon be a more obvious contender? My mind isn't made up and I'm open to feedback.

I'd go for canon because "we invented a new language" is the sort of developments that you can with AH - though I can't judge on what the script should look like

I'd go for canon because "we invented a new language" is the sort of developments that you can with AH - though I can't judge on what the script should look like
Well at the time Chuck and I thought it was a fun idea, but since then I've come to hold my TL to more stringent plausibility standards, so I'd like to know if others consider it passes muster.

As for the scripts themselves, Soyombo looks like this:

Sample-Text-in-Soyombo.gif

And Orkhon like this;

turkicchart.jpg

Back