• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

What would a Post Nazi Maximum Reich be like?

BTW, off-topic, but how many Romanians do you think would actually settle in Odessa in the decades after an Axis WWII victory?

Good question, one I'm ill-equipped to answer. I know essentially nothing about Romanian history. @Yokai Man - any thoughts?
FWIW, Romania's major port on the Black Sea in real life--Constanta--has slightly more than 300,000 people right now. Meanwhile, Odessa had about half a million people back in 1950 and about a million people right now. So, if Odessa's existing population gets expelled and/or murdered en masse and Romania decides to aggressively build up Odessa after WWII just like the Soviet Union did in real life, theoretically speaking, I could see as many as one million Romanians eventually moving and living there. More than that would probably be too unrealistic since even one million Romanians would be something like 4% of Romania's total population. That would be slightly more than St. Petersburg's share of Russia's total population right now.

Hard to say.Not that many in any case,but Antonescu will probably rename the city after him.

I don’t think they had any real plans for the city all things considered beyond “being fascist”.
Was Antonescu ever actually interested in Lebensraum at all like Hitler was?

Was Antonescu ever actually interested in Lebensraum at all like Hitler was?
Not really,just regaining lost territories and maybe getting back Northern Transylvania some time in the future.

That and being a fascist asshole and punishing Jewish people and other minorities due to petty resentment originating from his dad divorcing his mom and marrying a Jewish woman.

Not really,just regaining lost territories and maybe getting back Northern Transylvania some time in the future.

That and being a fascist asshole and punishing Jewish people and other minorities due to petty resentment originating from his dad divorcing his mom and marrying a Jewish woman.
I didn't know that Antonescu had a Jewish mother-in-law. I gotta read up more on this!

I do know that he and Wilhelm Filderman (the WWII-era leader of Romania's Jewish community) were classmates back when they were kids, though:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Filderman

This might be a part of the reason as to why Filderman had Antonescu's ear and was ultimately able to help persuade Antonescu not to murder the Jews of the territories of the Romanian Old Kingdom en masse.

I didn't know that Antonescu had a Jewish mother-in-law. I gotta read up more on this!

I do know that he and Wilhelm Filderman (the WWII-era leader of Romania's Jewish community) were classmates back when they were kids, though:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Filderman

This might be a part of the reason as to why Filderman had Antonescu's ear and was ultimately able to help persuade Antonescu not to murder the Jews of the territories of the Romanian Old Kingdom en masse.
That and it also helped that Iuliu Maniu and Cardinal Iuliu Hossu tried to save Jewish people from dying at the hands of Antonescu.

It has to be pointed out though that Antonescu was incredibly bigoted even for the time,having been recalled from numerous diplomatic posts after the ambassador of France complained about his constant bigoted remarks and rants.

He also really hated his dad,not just for divorcing his mom and marrying a Jewish woman,but also for being everything Antonescu thought a pure blooded Romanian officer should not be:drunk,loving gambling and women,too lax with discipline and too tolerant of others.One of the first things he did when he came to power was to make sure there weren’t any records of his dad and his Jewish stepmom and stepbrothers existence (at least,that most people knew of).Any time someone mentioned his dad he started getting angry and ranting about how he was a disgrace as a Romanian.He refused to go to his dad’s funeral and intentionally left his grave unattended.

That and it also helped that Iuliu Maniu and Cardinal Iuliu Hossu tried to save Jewish people from dying at the hands of Antonescu.

It has to be pointed out though that Antonescu was incredibly bigoted even for the time,having been recalled from numerous diplomatic posts after the ambassador of France complained about his constant bigoted remarks and rants.

He also really hated his dad,not just for divorcing his mom and marrying a Jewish woman,but also for being everything Antonescu thought a pure blooded Romanian officer should not be:drunk,loving gambling and women,too lax with discipline and too tolerant of others.One of the first things he did when he came to power was to make sure there weren’t any records of his dad and his Jewish stepmom and stepbrothers existence (at least,that most people knew of).Any time someone mentioned his dad he started getting angry and ranting about how he was a disgrace as a Romanian.He refused to go to his dad’s funeral and intentionally left his grave unattended.
Did Antonescu inherit all of these traits from his mom?

Is life pleasant in Romania? I know that Bucharest is a fancy city and that, on average, in PPP terms, Romania is currently about as wealthy as Turkey is.
Not really,corruption and extremist populism are everywhere and everything is this of falling apart.

Not really,corruption and extremist populism are everywhere and everything is this of falling apart.
Unfortunately, eastern and southeastern Europe really do appear to be ripe with corruption :(:

corruption-perceptions-index-2016.jpg

For what it's worth, I could actually see the population explosion in the former territories of Kievan Rus be a type of inspiration to the Nazis in this scenario. The population in Kievan Rus was only something like six million around the year 1000 or so but subsequently exploded several dozen times up to the point that the total East Slavic population (as in, those descended from the people of Kievan Rus) became more than 150 million by 1941 (and around 200 million by 1991--and it would have been even higher if it wasn't for the extreme demographic devastation that the Slavic parts of the Soviet Union endured as a result of World War II). So, for the Nazis--like for the people of Kievan Rus--demographic expansion could be viewed as being a long-term game--possibly even a centuries-long game or even a millennium-long game.

Back