• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

What if The USA Entered WW2 in Early 1941?

All in all, that seems to be a TL where the Allies win even faster - hence, not that interesting.

An earlier Allied win may not change the outlines of the war, especially the European War, too much.

But is helping the Axis the only way to make a WWII alternate history "interesting"?

I can think of several ways an earlier Allied win in Europe could lead to "interesting" changes to the postwar world.

Actually, Eric Johnson over at AH.com has conceived of several benefits for the British Empire of winning the war just a year early: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...the-postwar-world.520743/page-6#post-23261104

The effects on the war and postwar I can think of ending it faster based on the described PoD?

The potential for Japanese neutrality and Japan being a third "pole" postwar, or at least an independent great power.
The potential, even Japan if does get into the war, for Allied policy to be significantly more "Germany-First"
Knock-on consequences leading to the Iron Curtain possibly being shifted to the east within Europe.
Victory, or victory in Europe, leaving America's electorate ready to start the post-war and Cold War fresh with Dewey and the GOP in the 1944 election
The chance of the war being over before the atomic bomb is complete, whether or not this means an invasion of Japan has begun beforehand -- and the follow-up question of whether atomic bombs are used the next time a mid-sized war breaks out, or are held back as a deterrent?

Last edited:
E7v5hAEVIAIWJ3w

Saw this from Twitter and thought it relevant.

E7v5hAEVIAIWJ3w

Saw this from Twitter and thought it relevant.

The map is very interesting. The negativity towards entry into the war, being concentrated in New England and the Midwest really makes me think it is not a matter of regional bellicosity or regional cultures but ethnicity. The correlation being concentrations of ethnic Germans and ethnic Irish depressing pro-Allied sentiment.

The map is very interesting. The negativity towards entry into the war, being concentrated in New England and the Midwest really makes me think it is not a matter of regional bellicosity or regional cultures but ethnicity. The correlation being concentrations of ethnic Germans and ethnic Irish depressing pro-Allied sentiment.
Parts of the Midwest did have strong isolationist feeling, thought.

Parts of the Midwest did have strong isolationist feeling, thought.

Those correlate with high numbers of German Americans. I would expect more negativity towards intervention in Pennsylvania as well, but perhaps the German element there was more watered down Slavic, Italian, Jewish ethnic elements around Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, and more idealistic academics.

Those correlate with high numbers of German Americans. I would expect more negativity towards intervention in Pennsylvania as well, but perhaps the German element there was more watered down Slavic, Italian, Jewish ethnic elements around Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, and more idealistic academics.
LaFollette had a lot of support in parts of the Midwest because of his isolationism. During World War I, Scandinavian Americans didn't want to fight Germans as fellow Lutherans.

Also earlier Allied victory has knock-on effects for the state of Israel and European/Med Sea Jewish communities just because the Holocaust hasn't got quite as far-the rural communities of the Pale are shattered by this point but depending on when this victory happens you can get a situation where the war ends before the Nazis have a chance to deport any Greek, Italian, Hungarian, Romanian, etc. Jews, plus before the last of the ghetto liquidations.

Back