• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

What if Gordon Banks had Played

Roberto El Rey

Unelected bureaucrat
strange how the English language works. Not pertinent is not the same as impertinent.
(Checks online dictionary)

Oh, crap.

Sorry, I very much meant “not pertinent”! I certainly didn’t mean to say that his reasons for taking it down were rude. His exact words were “not important”, but I worried that phrasing it that way on here would be seen as minimizing his reason for taking it down, so I untactfully changed the wording. I’m sorry for causing that misunderstanding!

neonduke

Continuity Menshevik
It wasn't just the IRA. People talk about the IRA, but they weren't exactly the only group of balaclava maniacs. Off the top of my head, there was the INLA, the UVF, UDF, UFF, Third Force. You then had the splinter groups, because the IRA, as one example, broke into the Provisionals, Continuity, New, and so on.
As its been brought up here, If you know David what was the authorities contemporary view of Third Force? A lot of DUP and Paisley supporters seem determined to present it as nothing more than a bunch of farmers parading about fields waving firearms licences, whereas the other side are adamant that it was a force on par with the UVF/UDA etc. I ask as a lot of online Unionist commentators seem determined to downplay it as much as possible so to avoid any hint of equivalence between Sinn Fein and the DUP around links to violence.

As its been brought up here, If you know David what was the authorities contemporary view of Third Force? A lot of DUP and Paisley supporters seem determined to present it as nothing more than a bunch of farmers parading about fields waving firearms licences, whereas the other side are adamant that it was a force on par with the UVF/UDA etc. I ask as a lot of online Unionist commentators seem determined to downplay it as much as possible so to avoid any hint of equivalence between Sinn Fein and the DUP around links to violence.
From the ground level, it seemed to be somewhere in between those views. It was a damn sight more than just parading about with firearms licences, although they did that. Several incidents were attributed to them, including an attack on the RUC, killing an RUC officer in the process. Which, given that the RUC was perceived (with justification) as being largely pro-Protestant and anti-Catholic, and the Third Force was anti-Catholic as well, is a bit odd. What the authorities made of that incident, I don't know. On the ground, it was assumed that this was a personal attack outside of the normal sectarian issues.

However, they were nothing like as active as the UVF (and similar) groups. Claiming that it was that significant is nonsense on stilts.

If you want my thumbnail, it would be: "Not all mouth, no trousers. Mainly mouth, some trousers. Maybe shorts."

I think one telling fact is that the Third Force pretty much disappeared when Ulster Resistance was formed, with the implication that the active members of the TF went into UR (which was a paramilitary organisation intent on overturning the Anglo-Irish Agreement), and that without the active members, the rest of TF found better things to do with their time.

neonduke

Continuity Menshevik
Thanks David, as to your last point Third Force and Ulster Resistance is used almost interchangeably by current commentators so there definitively seems to be the belief that its a continuation of the previous organisation.

Thanks David, as to your last point Third Force and Ulster Resistance is used almost interchangeably by current commentators so there definitively seems to be the belief that its a continuation of the previous organisation.
Well, sort of. It's not that simple. Some from the Third Force went into Ulster Resistance, so in that sense, UR grew out of TF, and can be considered a continuation. Most (like over 90%) of the Third Force didn't go into Ulster Resistance, so it's probably more accurate to describe it as a distillation rather than a continuation.

It's Northern Ireland. Of course it's unnecessarily complicated.

When I was reading "Shuffling The Deck", and came upon the short tangent on "For Want Of A Glove", I merely thought "ooh", and moved on. It was only when I was found and read the "For All Time" thread (on 11,718.04.18) H.E.), and the description for "W.I.G.B.H.P?" that I remembered "F.W.O.A.G." in "Shuffling the Deck". *smiles* that was a reference to "-Gordon Banks-", wasn't it?

Charles EP M.

Published by SLP
Part way in and got to:

"Isn't that a bit harsh, Willie?" Geoffrey Howe said eventually.
Whitelaw took his glasses off, "Sounds so when you list it like that. Most of these things are never going to be used and in any case it is only during a state of emergency.
There's great big stormclouds outside, sure that's a coincidence.

Charles EP M.

Published by SLP
"There is no point in wasting our time with counterfactuals"
Fnar fnar

Good rollicking stuff that builds and builds until you've accidentally fallen into ethnic cleansing, though it is weakened by the very "shrill" Thatcher and the use of Mysterious MI5 Happenings to cause key events (which is fine if we've built up to them like we built up to the dictatorship but they're going KILL MINISTERS from the jump). I do love the transitional authority getting bogged down in who exactly will be in it