• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

What If All of Europe Was Conquered?

By the Abassid Caliphate or Mongol Empire. Briefly, this gives the Americas a break for two or three centuries. The new invaders would cause death tolls of 10-50% instead of >90%.

Most of the food eaten today being Native developed? Rice, maize and wheat comprise 80% of food consumption on their own, of which Maize is the most cultivated by itself (though much of that goes to animal feed) while Rice accounts for the basic staple food of half the planet. Even going by pure crop production, Maize, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes and Cassava account for about 200 million tons less than the combined volume for rice, wheat, soybeans, Yams, Sorghum and Plantain.

There's been a few times where I've found myself going slightly eyebrows-raised at some of your claims, but that one's either a basic failure of research, or a pretty horrific contortion of the facts.

Most of the food eaten today being Native developed? Rice, maize and wheat comprise 80% of food consumption on their own, of which Maize is the most cultivated by itself (though much of that goes to animal feed) while Rice accounts for the basic staple food of half the planet. Even going by pure crop production, Maize, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes and Cassava account for about 200 million tons less than the combined volume for rice, wheat, soybeans, Yams, Sorghum and Plantain.

There's been a few times where I've found myself going slightly eyebrows-raised at some of your claims, but that one's either a basic failure of research, or a pretty horrific contortion of the facts.

Actually the research failure is yours.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352618116300750
https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/nrcs141p2_024206.pdf
https://www.csmonitor.com/1988/1125/hfgiv.html

And you seriously don't know maize is from Mexico? Next you'll be claiming potatoes are Irish.

And you seriously don't know maize is from Mexico?

Presumably this sentence in the post you quoted "Maize, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes and Cassava account for about 200 million tons less than the combined volume for rice, wheat, soybeans, Yams, Sorghum and Plantain." which very specifically groups maize in among the new world crops to comapre them to the old world crops incidcates that he does in fact know that.

Presumably this sentence in the post you quoted "Maize, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes and Cassava account for about 200 million tons less than the combined volume for rice, wheat, soybeans, Yams, Sorghum and Plantain." which very specifically groups maize in among the new world crops to comapre them to the old world crops incidcates that he does in fact know that.
His first two sentences makes it plain he thought maize was from Europe. He listed these as all non-Native foods.

"Most of the food eaten today being Native developed? Rice, maize and wheat comprise 80% of food consumption on their own, of which Maize is the most cultivated by itself (though much of that goes to animal feed) while Rice accounts for "the basic staple food of half the planet."

Though the typo indicates he wasn't writing carefully. It could just be poor word choice, or sloppiness like his lack of research.

His first two sentences makes it plain he thought maize was from Europe. He listed these as all non-Native foods.

"Most of the food eaten today being Native developed? Rice, maize and wheat comprise 80% of food consumption on their own, of which Maize is the most cultivated by itself (though much of that goes to animal feed) while Rice accounts for "the basic staple food of half the planet."

Though the typo indicates he wasn't writing carefully. It could just be poor word choice, or sloppiness like his lack of research.

I will allow that in isolation the first sentence an be construed that way, however it's perfectly clear from the rest of the post what's meant.

Checking the sources you gave, the second and third are completely pointless to link seeing as both are unsourced tertiary reporting of information.

And the first source is, for that particular piece of information, also completely useless because the only source it gives for the 60% figure is the second source you linked which, as I already pointed out, doesn't actually give any evidence for it but just states it.

So as far as I can tell, this is an unsourced statement floating around the internet that's managed to get into a minor academic journal.

Back