• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Vignette Sunday: Tee Im Schwarzwald

Thank you for the kind words. I believe this is post one of the original draft. The version to be published has been edited. The first aim was to trim some of the fat. My brain had other ideas, though. The final version was about 1,500 words longer than the previous one.

EDIT: Having looked, the original was 7,500 words, and the one coming to SLP is just over 8,500.

Last edited:
I'm not sure. The weight felt about right for 5-10K. Much longer than that, and I think it would have started to feel thin without something added, and adding something might well take the weight away from this.

IMO, obviously.
I agree.

I did have an idea to expand at one stage, but that would have seen our journalist move away from the Black Forest, and find other candidates to interview. The problem I had was that the only ones that took shape in my head were two brothers in law: Georg, and George. The latter would have been a Brit who was part of the occupation forces after the war, and ended up marrying a local girl - Georg's sister. However, I couldn't come up with any more people to interview, and I thought that the horrors of the Kentish Front worked better as allusions, rather than a detailed discussion.

Mountains in the distance, as a much better writer once said.

Back