• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Viability of a pro-US Korean government-in-exile on Jeju Island?

Hendryk

Taken back control yet?
Published by SLP
Over at the France Fights On forum the post-war fate of Korea is being discussed, and it seems likely that all of it will end up in the Soviet sphere of influence. Should that happen, what would be the viability of a non-Communist, US-aligned Korean government relocating to Jeju Island as a "Korean Taiwan"?

Size-wise, Jeju is just a bit smaller than Mauritius, and in OTL it is home to 660,000 people, but I have no idea what maximum population it could support.

I have a vague feeling Jeju fits into the mould of 'the US would just occupy the place rather than treat it as a theoreticaly independent country.'
There's no doubt that in such a scenario the island would essentially be an American dependency. But its legal status would have to be sorted out, and annexing it outright would probably be more trouble than it's worth, especially if the place is packed with Korean refugees. I figure that putting it under the nominal sovereignty of a Korean government-in-exile might be the easiest solution.

There's no doubt that in such a scenario the island would essentially be an American dependency. But its legal status would have to be sorted out, and annexing it outright would probably be more trouble than it's worth, especially if the place is packed with Korean refugees. I figure that putting it under the nominal sovereignty of a Korean government-in-exile might be the easiest solution.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if said government in exile is actually located in San Francisco or something.

Back