• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Vast and Cool and Unsympathetic: 'The War of the Worlds' in Alternate History

Just wanted to add how strong of a read this article was. Not to mention reminding me that I have the Global Dispatches anthology sitting here unread, which I really must get around to rectifying. I must also confess that I've taken my own crack at using War of the Worlds mixed with alternate history, tying it into the alleged UFO crash at Aurora, Texas for a story I had published in an anthology last year.

The mention of Teddy Roosevelt toward the end of the article reminded me as well of Other Wars, Other Worlds, one of the novellas from the Lethbridge-Stewart range of Doctor Who spin-off books. In it, H.G. Wells and a character from Doctor Who cross over into a universe not unlike but definitely not precisely The War of the Worlds. One which sees the Americans showing up to lead a counter-attack, led by none other than TR himself.

The mention of Teddy Roosevelt toward the end of the article reminded me as well of Other Wars, Other Worlds, one of the novellas from the Lethbridge-Stewart range of Doctor Who spin-off books. In it, H.G. Wells and a character from Doctor Who cross over into a universe not unlike but definitely not precisely The War of the Worlds. One which sees the Americans showing up to lead a counter-attack, led by none other than TR himself.

How good are those Travers & Wells books?

The Anglo-Martian War of 1895 is an interesting one, from Osprey Publishing so you know the sort of book you're getting, not sure I agree with all of the timeline in it but it does make an effort to try and weave in the politics of the era with the events of the novel. Certainly worth a read over if you're a fan of the original.

The invastion itself is pretty well detailed. The aftermath is terrible. (World Wars One and Two as OTL?)

Chris

How good are those Travers & Wells books?

I’ve only read the WotW one as they aren’t easy to get here in States (and international shipping, combined with Candy Jar’s funky distribution, makes then hard to import). My memory of it is that it was pretty good, though, and I did a paragraph review of it on Goodreads.

Last edited:
Back