• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Unbuilt Moscow

Alex Richards

A crack Papal-Venetian-Dutch Negotiating Team
Patreon supporter
Published by SLP
The Palace of the Soviets has always somewhat fascinated me- it seems to sum up the whole history of the Soviet Union, from the dramatic anti-clericalism and desire to sweep away the past, the over-the-top glorification of Lenin (a giant statue with lasers for eyes!), the disruption of the war years bringing Stalin's grandiose plans to a close, and then several decades of everyone really awkwardly not really knowing what to do about it before eventually the new Russian Republic just puts the old cathedral back.

Walpurgisnacht

Unlike a presidential dog
Pronouns
He/Him
No Russian constructionist proposals? That whole 5 year post revolution period was rather interesting, at least till it all went back to classical design.
A lot of the best Constructivist stuff, like Tatlin's Tower, was designed for Petrograd, not Moscow.

Do concur that it's interesting how the Soviets preferred giant pseudo-Roman wedding cakes over the modernist and "revolutionary" stylings of Le Corbusier or Rodchenko. You could argue that this speaks to a desire for legitimacy by wearing the clothes of older states, but there's probably more mundane reasons ultimately--Modernist architecture is quite hard to sustain in an agrarian nation.

Guernsey Donkey

The disappearance of ...
Patreon supporter
A lot of the best Constructivist stuff, like Tatlin's Tower, was designed for Petrograd, not Moscow.

Do concur that it's interesting how the Soviets preferred giant pseudo-Roman wedding cakes over the modernist and "revolutionary" stylings of Le Corbusier or Rodchenko. You could argue that this speaks to a desire for legitimacy by wearing the clothes of older states, but there's probably more mundane reasons ultimately--Modernist architecture is quite hard to sustain in an agrarian nation.
The Ministry of Labor by the Vesnin Brothers was designed for Moscow, though i was surprised that the Pravda building wasn't

Generally when a country wants to project a element of imperialist legitimacy they will default to borrowing that legitimacy off the Romans/Greeks. So once you lose that original revolutionary spirit, modernism dies.

Bonniecanuck

DIEF WILL BE THE CHIEF AGAIN
Pronouns
she/her + they/them
I'm curious about Moscow Metro and other infrastructure plans that never came to fruition. A cursory glance at Wikipedia suggests that the most noticeable impacts of the Second World War were the delaying of the third of four initial construction stages and the recommissioning of U-Bahn trains taken from Berlin, but I'm sure there's more. I also wonder if any other events besides the fall of the Soviet Union had repercussions for Metro expansion that saw extensions, lines, or stations cancelled.