• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

the zaffre zone: title cards, joaos, and other oddities

At The Precipice

aka

For Fuchs' Sake

1941-1945: Franklin D. Roosevelt / Henry A. Wallace (Democratic)[1]

1940: Wendell Willkie / Charles L. McNary (Republican)
1945-1945: Franklin D. Roosevelt / Harry S Truman (Democratic)
1944: Thomas Dewey / Arthur Vandenberg (Republican)
1945-1949: Harry S Truman / Vacant (Democratic) [2]
1949-1951: Harry S Truman / Joseph C. O'Mahoney (Democratic)
1948: Thomas Dewey / Harold Burton (Republican), Ben Laney / Strom Thurmond (Dixiecrat)
1951-1952: Harry S Truman / Joseph C. O'Mahoney (National Emergency)[3]
1952-1952: Harry S Truman / Vacant
(National Emergency)
1952-1953: Frank M. Andrews / Vacant (National Emergency) [4]
1953-1957: Walter Judd / Alfred E. Driscoll (Republican) [5]

1952: Frank M. Andrews / Scott W. Lucas (Democratic)
1956 (Nov): election postponed

1957-1965: J. Robert Oppenheimer / Claude Pepper (New Democratic) [6]
1956 (Dec): Alfred E. Driscoll / Various (Republican)
1960: Bourke Hickenlooper / Leslie C. Arends (Republican)

1965-1967: J. Robert Oppenheimer / Helen Gahagan Douglas (New Democratic)
1964: Thomas Dewey / Thomas B. Curtis (Republican)

[1] Scientists throughout the Tube Alloys program were saddened to learn of the death of colleague Klaus Fuchs in April 1943, at the very end of the Birmingham Blitz.

[2] Hiroshima. Niigata. The Hitler Trials. And this was Truman's more quiet term.

[3] The Soviet nuclear program made what historians consider to be two crucial mistakes. Taking until the spring of 1951 - the height of the Korean "police action" - to test. And getting it wrong. "First Lightning" scattered fissile material all across the Kazakh steppe, and convinced western observers that the Soviets would have a working bomb in anywhere from a matter of weeks to a matter of months. But not now. The Americans had the bomb right now.

Frantic mobilization, everywhere.

Moscow. Leningrad. Gorki. Tula. Nikolayev. Odessa. Mariupol.

[4] Secretary Andrews had been primus inter pares in the Truman administration, even before WW3.

Oh no rating: oh no

At The Precipice

aka

For Fuchs' Sake

1941-1945: Franklin D. Roosevelt / Henry A. Wallace (Democratic)[1]

1940: Wendell Willkie / Charles L. McNary (Republican)
1945-1945: Franklin D. Roosevelt / Harry S Truman (Democratic)
1944: Thomas Dewey / Arthur Vandenberg (Republican)
1945-1949: Harry S Truman / Vacant (Democratic) [2]
1949-1951: Harry S Truman / Joseph C. O'Mahoney (Democratic)
1948: Thomas Dewey / Harold Burton (Republican), Ben Laney / Strom Thurmond (Dixiecrat)
1951-1952: Harry S Truman / Joseph C. O'Mahoney (National Emergency)[3]
1952-1952: Harry S Truman / Vacant
(National Emergency)
1952-1953: Frank M. Andrews / Vacant (National Emergency) [4]
1953-1957: Walter Judd / Alfred E. Driscoll (Republican) [5]

1952: Frank M. Andrews / Scott W. Lucas (Democratic)
1956 (Nov): election postponed

1957-1965: J. Robert Oppenheimer / Claude Pepper (New Democratic) [6]
1956 (Dec): Alfred E. Driscoll / Various (Republican)
1960: Bourke Hickenlooper / Leslie C. Arends (Republican)

1965-1967: J. Robert Oppenheimer / Helen Gahagan Douglas (New Democratic)
1964: Thomas Dewey / Thomas B. Curtis (Republican)

[1] Scientists throughout the Tube Alloys program were saddened to learn of the death of colleague Klaus Fuchs in April 1943, at the very end of the Birmingham Blitz.

[2] Hiroshima. Niigata. The Hitler Trials. And this was Truman's more quiet term.

[3] The Soviet nuclear program made what historians consider to be two crucial mistakes. Taking until the spring of 1951 - the height of the Korean "police action" - to test. And getting it wrong. "First Lightning" scattered fissile material all across the Kazakh steppe, and convinced western observers that the Soviets would have a working bomb in anywhere from a matter of weeks to a matter of months. But not now. The Americans had the bomb right now.

Frantic mobilization, everywhere.

Moscow. Leningrad. Gorki. Tula. Nikolayev. Odessa. Mariupol.

[4] Secretary Andrews had been primus inter pares in the Truman administration, even before WW3.
ok so you do have to end this with a president named barbara something

Hmm - IIRC the Football Alliance wasn't considered massively inferior to the League at the time, but even so when the Second Division was created only the top two teams from it played in the First.
The only examples I can think of where it wasn't done in that sort of way are where the previous leagues were regional, though that may well just me being unaware (I do know of one early 1900s one where about a decade later the First Division was mainly originally second tier sides and vice versa).
That said, IIRC rugby league did historically have "one big division" at least at times, so maybe that's an example to look at?

I've been looking through it, and I think the best compromise between logic & my ability to calculate stuff is the three worst teams in the NFL in 1969 getting relegated down to the AFL for the 1970 merger - so two leagues of 13 teams - and a subsequent two promotions & two relegations per year as the league creeps up in size to two leagues of 16 teams. My understanding is also that new teams would always be added to the lower league?

Then to actually pick standings I "just" have to look at the season of games played in that subset of 13-16 teams and find W + D + L points over the number of games played (because it won't be consistent) and then tiebreak with PF/PA differential over that number of games played. And then figure out what year to implement 3 points for a win, although that might not affect anything because NFL teams barely ever get two draw seasons.

Back