• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The Write Stuff - A concept is not a plot

An issue I tend to have myself. Possibly why I've always been a lot better at descriptive passages than anything else - crystallising the concept comes easily. Working out where the plot goes from that has always been more difficult.

This should be emblazoned over the top of the First Drafts forum in bright red letters. And the regular working forum too, for that matter.

I would argue that a First Draft is where one is developing things, and trying to get help to move from a concept to a plot is perfectly viable. I'll play around with ideas, some of which end up going nowhere.

The only issue is that our First Draft forum is where we want people to put stuff we might want to sell in the near future, and slowly cobbling together the whole piece is a lot easier to do in the general writing area. Personally, I think we just need to get a nice dice roller and make a Sea Lion Press Plot Chart so authors who have finished building their alternate history worlds can do a test flight in them. An art heist story might not be the first thing you think of if the Soviet Union develops the internet in the seventies, but run the timeline forward to a more developed video game industry and some missing demo copies before the Russian Games Convention, and you start to see some interesting concepts come out.

Back