• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The SLP Flag Thread

Something I just concocted for the other place as a joke on the whole "my ideal America is one that's actually British" thing, using the full Great Seal of the United States and modifying the colors of the Red Ensign to match the official specs for the US flag's colors. Yes, I know the Great Seal's centering is not right and doesn't match on both ends. Anyway -

Obverse:
View attachment 9389
This onle looks nice, good work, better than what i could have made.

Here's a good potential protest merch/future history idea, please help me design a new revolutionary flag for Puerto Rico. Most people just turn the current flag black, but i was thinking that instead of doing that, we could take the Lares flag (used during a failed liberal antislavery rebellion against Spain) and replace its star with either the nationalist party's crusader cross, a communist or anarchist symbol if you want to be edgy or the traditional coat of arms, minus all the monarchical trappings that ring it.
lares_municipio_fl_n10709-300x200.jpg

225px-Flag_of_the_Puerto_Rican_Nationalist_Party.svg.png

Coat_of_arms_of_Puerto_Rico.svg.png

Bonus points for anyone who can turn this graffiti into a viable flag.
Grito-de-Lares-flag.jpg

I feel like a cross machete hybrid deserves a anarchist A rather than a star, but you do you.

Resurrecting this thread because I'm soliciting feedback -

So, as some of you may know already, I'm working on a Britain-as-divided-Germany TL (though not quite exactly like the latter), and of course it's easy to distinguish the two when there are different flags. For this exercise, I'm assuming that the Union Flag is not used for some reason, replaced - as with other Allied-occupied countries - with civil ensigns based on the international maritime flags. Ultimately, when our East and West Germany equivalents - the BDR and FCGB, respectively, pending a final decision on my part in terms of borders, in which case I can also use geographic shorthand - come forward, because they come forth as republics (still figuring out the sequence of events on that), the flag symbolism used would be derived from the so-called Chartist flag (aka the Hungarian flag with different proportions and brighter colours):
600px-Flag_of_the_British_Republic.svg.png

Now, the BDR flag would be easy - use that as a base and add Communist/historic British republican symbology (if any, in the case of the latter) or a modified version of the East German national emblem, either similar to OTL or modified towards a more Soviet-like direction with a hammer and sickle along with the compass point. It's the FCGB flag that's a bit more difficult. One way would be to flip the flag around (similar to the historic Patriote flag and now used by the Québec independence movement, as well as some far-right elements, or the Iranian flag) and use that as a base, or something more sophisticated could be used. Here, I have a couple of proposals - two based on the Saar Protectorate's Nordic Cross-style flag with green substituted for blue, in both 1:2 and 2:3 ratios (though in the former case, I'm open to suggestions for modifying the cross), and another based on the Patriote flag but with the addition of national flags à la the last time Britain was a Commonwealth, with the Welsh flag substituting for the Irish harp.
South Britain flag proposals.png
Which would you guys prefer? Any suggestions for modifying them?

The 1:2 Saarland looks very strange. Out of proportion.

Not a fan of the crest/shield on the patriote flag.

So, Saarland 2:3 for my money. But, depending on how it comes about, they may not want a cross...

Right, let's get some proper feedback on this set of ideas of mine. Not long after joining The Other Place, I came up with a thin excuse of a POD that, over the last 12 years, has served more as a sandbox for exploring ideas than as a serious timeline. One of these involved an alternate Australia, its states and their flags. I think all of these are enough of my own work to post but it has been a while so please just let me know if I've failed to credit someone else...

They were also all done before I got the hang of SVGs and Inkscape so are all raster art, I've shrunk the image down a bit for both size and to hide some ragged edges. But I'd like to know what people think of the ideas.Australia_composite.png

The main flag was inspired by the flag of the Eureka Rebellion but seemed plausible for a general Southern Cross theme, rather than implying the state later sought to legitimise the rebels.

The borders weren't just copy-pasta from OTL, but vaguely speaking:
Aururia ~ Victoria, Avalon ~ Tasmania, Cavendia ~ Queensland, Concordia ~ Western Australia, Flinders ~ South Australia, New [South] Wales, North-West Terr ~ Northern Terr, Capital District surrounds OTL Eden, NSW.

Well, tis' an interesting and novel take on the Australian flag and its derivatives. I like the set you've created.

Right, let's get some proper feedback on this set of ideas of mine. Not long after joining The Other Place, I came up with a thin excuse of a POD that, over the last 12 years, has served more as a sandbox for exploring ideas than as a serious timeline. One of these involved an alternate Australia, its states and their flags. I think all of these are enough of my own work to post but it has been a while so please just let me know if I've failed to credit someone else...

They were also all done before I got the hang of SVGs and Inkscape so are all raster art, I've shrunk the image down a bit for both size and to hide some ragged edges. But I'd like to know what people think of the ideas.View attachment 20536

The main flag was inspired by the flag of the Eureka Rebellion but seemed plausible for a general Southern Cross theme, rather than implying the state later sought to legitimise the rebels.

The borders weren't just copy-pasta from OTL, but vaguely speaking:
Aururia ~ Victoria, Avalon ~ Tasmania, Cavendia ~ Queensland, Concordia ~ Western Australia, Flinders ~ South Australia, New [South] Wales, North-West Terr ~ Northern Terr, Capital District surrounds OTL Eden, NSW.
They're nice flag designs. My only comment would be that I always feel that many AH flag proposals are 'unrealistic' because they are more consistent and well-designed than 'realistic' OTL ones. In practice, you just know one or two Australian states would not have the cross due to their state assembly's ruling party not liking it, or would have it but in inconsistent proportions because someone wrote the numbers down wrong when the telegram came through or the wrong shade of blue or...

They're nice flag designs. My only comment would be that I always feel that many AH flag proposals are 'unrealistic' because they are more consistent and well-designed than 'realistic' OTL ones. In practice, you just know one or two Australian states would not have the cross due to their state assembly's ruling party not liking it, or would have it but in inconsistent proportions because someone wrote the numbers down wrong when the telegram came through or the wrong shade of blue or...
I agree that a lot of proposals are unrealistic due to all coming from the mind of one person, instead of being the end result of bargaining and arguing and design-by-committee. I did come up with some alt-US, alt-Canada and alt-Germany flag sets that are far more varied, but a lot of those designs were other peoples' that I really liked and just lifted wholesale, so I'm not going to post them and try passing them off as my own...

In this case I came up with the notion that there was a deliberate decision, at a Colonial Governors' Conference before federation happened, that there should be a common element at the hoist with a state element on the field. I'd built a list of British monarchs into the timeline, federation happened in 1910 less than 3 years after Edward VII took the throne. I'd had him as the first British king to visit Australia, having spent quite a long tour there not long before his father died, he'd been supportive of federation while there, had become quite popular during the tour, and had dropped an off-hand comment in the direction of this common design theme that had been picked up and blown out of all proportion in the press afterwards. It felt realistic enough to run with it, once ;)

Back