• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The Revolution Will Be Live by The Vulture

theev

I've seen this early alternate history work from the Other Place referenced variously as a really good work of alternate history and based on the glimpses of it I can catch it looks like it can meet those expectations. But its appeared to have disappeared completely from the internet. Does anyone know if it would be possible to find or recover it? Additionally, if you were around for its syndication what was it like? What did you enjoy about it? What made it exceptional alternate history?

It was brilliant really. But yeah The Vulture had it pulled off of The Other Place and the other site it was on doesn't exist anymore.

I enjoyed the fact that it was by and large good narrative stuff. Vulture used the scrapbook style but one of his primary sources was a journal of one of the Revolutionaries from the Authoritarian small d democracy that America had become and one was a study of the Federal Agent tracking them and in both cases, you actually developed concerns for the characters they interacted with. There was a depth to it that was fairly uncommon for the time. The other sources helped create a clear picture of the world and how it had come to be so profoundly broken. People did great evils in it but The Vulture also took great pains to show why everyone (with a few chaotic exceptions) went the way they went and did what they did.

I guess it's time I come clean- I am the poster formerly known as The Vulture and I do in fact have this completed work archived on my hard drive.

While I do hold pride and affection for that work, it was very much a product of a confused and angry time of my life when I was working through a lot of trauma as well as my queer identity. I'm particularly embarrassed by the women characters I wrote, including one distasteful "stuffed in the fridge" moment. After completing that work, I went on to participate in the Ferguson protests (as well as the most recent batch and more local ones in the meantime) and reflections from that experience have caused me to reevaluate a lot of The Revolution Will Be Live. I still feel it has value, however, and held onto it out of nostalgia.

Seeing this thread pop up was a bit of a surprise for me, and a cursory glance through older posts made me realize that much to my shock this one is still talked about. You have no idea how humbling and gratifying that is, for people to still think about one of your adolescent works nearly a decade later. This really puts a smile on my face.

I guess this is a long way to say I would be willing to post The Revolution Will Be Live here if that would be appropriate and there's interest.

I guess it's time I come clean- I am the poster formerly known as The Vulture and I do in fact have this completed work archived on my hard drive.

While I do hold pride and affection for that work, it was very much a product of a confused and angry time of my life when I was working through a lot of trauma as well as my queer identity. I'm particularly embarrassed by the women characters I wrote, including one distasteful "stuffed in the fridge" moment. After completing that work, I went on to participate in the Ferguson protests (as well as the most recent batch and more local ones in the meantime) and reflections from that experience have caused me to reevaluate a lot of The Revolution Will Be Live. I still feel it has value, however, and held onto it out of nostalgia.

Seeing this thread pop up was a bit of a surprise for me, and a cursory glance through older posts made me realize that much to my shock this one is still talked about. You have no idea how humbling and gratifying that is, for people to still think about one of your adolescent works nearly a decade later. This really puts a smile on my face.

I guess this is a long way to say I would be willing to post The Revolution Will Be Live here if that would be appropriate and there's interest.
Well it's good to see you again @Polyphemus and I'm glad you're here.

I do understand that the story might be a lot for you and carry a lot so I'd be glad to reread it but also would understand if you didn't want to. I would say though with your changes in perspective on it that perhaps a rewrite was in order?

Well it's good to see you again @Polyphemus and I'm glad you're here.

I do understand that the story might be a lot for you and carry a lot so I'd be glad to reread it but also would understand if you didn't want to. I would say though with your changes in perspective on it that perhaps a rewrite was in order?

Yeah, not to say I'm ashamed of it or anything, I just look back on it and think "wow, I was going through some shit at the time". It's the kind of clarity you only get with a few years and moving into a better, healthier place. I have given some thought to rewrites, and maybe some day when I'm juggling fewer writing projects I might sit down to do exactly that.

Since people are reacting so positively to the idea, I'm thinking I might as well go ahead and start posting it in installments here. Writing forum is probably the best place for it.

Back