• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The Moon Is Red: Apple TV does AH.

On the topic of FAM’s presidents, Tor’s website put out an article this past week on that topic and what’s arguably a problem with AH in general: Why are all the politicians familiar names?

Gavia sums this up well: it's unrealistic and frustrating, but a deliberate "narrative shorthand" "intended to keep the setting as accessible as possible" that we're sort of stuck with. If you want a way to imply this is a more eco-conscious 2000s, it's either Al Gore winning or Nader winning (or if you were doing a deliberately less realistic and more playful story, a prominent eco-friendly celeb/scientist like how Games Workshop's Dark Future dystopia had President "Big Chuck" Heston and Oliver North).

Dont know if folks saw this on the Presidents list. This is how my aborted FaM TL went (I gave up around when I discovered S4 was about to be released)

I did predict that S4 would probable
Be about asteroid mining.

OTHER STUFF FROM MY TL
-Ed retires to raise his granddaughter while Kelly returns to Mars to search for and find life.
-Dani ends up NASA Administrator
-NASA builds a massive resuable Mars ship similar to the Hermes from The Martian
-Aleida builds the next generation engine alongside OTL engineer Franklin Chang Diaz based on his proposals for a VASIMIR engine
-Detente with the Soviet Union continues but they remain seperate with a NASA-European-Private Space Company base and a seperate Soviet-Chinese-North Korean base.
-Reform survive better than OTL, becoming a home for the left wing in American politics.
-Both Stevens brothers end up in prison
-By the late 2000s they start working on a mission to Jupiter.

Filled in some blanks and also wrote how I thought things would look by Season 4

SPOILERS FOR SEASONS 1-3 of For All Mankind

For All Mankind (Bolt's Version)

1969-1973- Richard Nixon/ Spiro Agnew (Republican)

Def 1968- Hubert Humphrey/Edmund Muskie (Democrat)
1973-1977-Ted Kennedy/Frank Church (Democrat)
Def 1972-Richard Nixon/Spiro Agnew
1977-1985-Ronald Reagan/George HW Bush (Republican)
Def-1976- Ted Kennedy/Frank Church (Democrat)
Def 1980- John Glenn/Barbara Jordan (Democrat)
1985-1992-Gary Hart/Bill Clinton (Democrat)
Def 1984- George HW Bush/Jack Schmitt (Republican)
Def 1988- Bob Dole/John McCain (Republican)
1993-1995-Ellen Wilson*/Jim Bragg* (Republican)
Def 1992-Bill Clinton/Al Gore(Democrat)
1995-1996- Jim Bragg*/Vacant
1996-1997: Jim Bragg*/Nancy Johnson (Republican)
1997-2001: Jim Bragg*/
Ann Richards (Republican/Democrat)

Bill Clinton/Ann Richards (Democrat) def Jim Bragg/Nancy Johnson (Republican) Jerry Brown/Dick Lamm (Reform)
2001-Present:Howard Dean/Ann Richards (Democrat)
Def 2001: Pat Buchanan/Jack Kemp (Republican) Ralph Nader/Winona LaDuke (Reform)

"... I'm sure there are some disappointed people here. You know what? You know something? You know something? If you had told us after the JSC Bombings that we'd be going back to Mars in even greater numbers? people would give anything for that.

And you know something? You know something?

Not only are we going back to Mars ... we're going to go to Venus! The Asteroids! and the Moons of Jupiter! and The Rings of Saturn and the outer gas giants! , and we're going to Alpha Centauri! and Sirius! But First then we're going to Washington, D.C. To take back the White House. Yeah!

Also it bothers me that in Season 3 they used shuttles to go to the moon.

Maybe a Moon mission launched via shuttle? Like the Shuttle-Centaur that was cancelled just before the Challenger disaster?

The shuttle would at least need refuelling and maybe new boosters once in orbit

Dont know if folks saw this on the Presidents list. This is how my aborted FaM TL went (I gave up around when I discovered S4 was about to be released)

I did predict that S4 would probable
Be about asteroid mining.

OTHER STUFF FROM MY TL
-Ed retires to raise his granddaughter while Kelly returns to Mars to search for and find life.
-Dani ends up NASA Administrator
-NASA builds a massive resuable Mars ship similar to the Hermes from The Martian
-Aleida builds the next generation engine alongside OTL engineer Franklin Chang Diaz based on his proposals for a VASIMIR engine
-Detente with the Soviet Union continues but they remain seperate with a NASA-European-Private Space Company base and a seperate Soviet-Chinese-North Korean base.
-Reform survive better than OTL, becoming a home for the left wing in American politics.
-Both Stevens brothers end up in prison
-By the late 2000s they start working on a mission to Jupiter.
Please tell me this ends with the discovery of a black slab, dimensions 1:4:9, orbiting Jupiter.

Also it bothers me that in Season 3 they used shuttles to go to the moon.

Maybe a Moon mission launched via shuttle? Like the Shuttle-Centaur that was cancelled just before the Challenger disaster?

The shuttle would at least need refuelling and maybe new boosters once in orbit
Stuff like that has put me off watching the show, which might be to my detriment. It is just a weird decision on the show's part.

Back